Quick Review of the Droid 4 QWERTY

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
d4_nite2.jpg

So I have been using this device now as my primary device since I grabbed it the day after release! I am generally not a physical keyboard kind of guy, as I have generally viewed them personally as "old school". I thought of them as a "My mom needs a physical keyboard I do not" kind of thing, but i am quickly beginning to understand the true value of a well designed physical keyboard! I have been so impressed with this one that I have decided to do a quick review.

I have always just used the on-screen keyboard since my first smartphone the HTC Touch. I always just typed one handed in picture mode. This slide-out keyboard has the advantage in my opinion. It has 5 rows, including number keys, so i don't have to press a key to bring up a second set of keys. This really speeds things up! This keyboard also includes all of the symbol keys on the number keys just like on a standard PC keyboard, which is familiar. One thing that stands out about the D4 keyboard is that the keys are square and spaced out enough to where if I lay my fat fingers on multiple keys it generally inputs the key that i meant to press. The layout is just very convenient with the caps lock and shift key being right on the keyboard!

Of course the keys are very responsive and the feel is excellent. It makes a good snap feel under my fingers that lets me know I have pressed the button. The new back-lit feature really helps for times when you are in dark places but would still like to use the slide-out. You can really see every key and the lights are very bright. The only real con of having a device with such an incredible keyboard is the added thickness and boy does it add thickness, but in the end if you really are a keyboard person this will be a non issue for you. This has got to be the best physical keyboard to date! I just wrote this article using it if that tells you anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
edit... you fixed it lol

btw i got my D1 thinking i'd never use the touchscreen keyboard but now its quite the opposite, I never use the hard keyboard...but still its a nice attraction to those getting their first smartphone and being concerned about the lack of a hard keyboard

Last edited:

B-Unit

Reaction score
Yea, I found that I only used the hard keyboard on my D1 for Terminal emulator. This new D4 keyboard is a dream tho, I love it. I see myself using it quite extensively.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the Droid 4 came out and I was still looking for a phone, I can see that I would be highly impressed by that gorgeous keyboard. Thanks for the review.

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
I will say that coming from a Droid 2, the clicking you describe takes some getting used to. I'm used to just mushing a key, and not getting a "click" out of it. It's odd, but satisfying as you described it. :)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hardware key boards are definitely better. So much more accurate. I do miss my Droid 3 keyboard quite a bit sometimes. It was a huge step up from the OG Droid. Sending long messages on the D3 was no problem for me, but on my Gnex, while I do type really fast on it, seems more like a chore.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums