Quick Reminder of the Flagship Smartphones Launching Within a Week

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
flagships-coming.jpg

It seems appropriate to offer up a reminder of the big smartphone releases which will see the light of day within the next week. This list is not meant to be exhaustive, but is simply a quick rundown of the flagships we know are coming.
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Samsung Unpacked Event on Wednesday, September 3rd (tomorrow) before IFA in Berlin.
  • Sony Xperia Z3 - Also being unveiled on Wednesday, September 3rd (tomorrow) before IFA in Berlin.
  • Moto X+1 (and possibly several other Motorola devices - except Shamu, the Nexus X) - Motorola's press event is scheduled for Thursday, September 4th in Chicago.
  • Apple's iPhone 6 - okay, so it isn't an Android, but it is a high profile flagship launch, and it is happening on Tuesday, September 9th.
All of these devices are expected to "up the ante" in both hardware performance, design and functionality. We will keep a close vigil and bring you up-to-date info as quickly as we can, so stay tuned!

Sound off in the thread below with any flagships we might have missed.

Gremlin

Reaction score
Nothing new regarding Iphone 6 :p I mean bigger phone that is all..

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I love to post my predictions...

*** Lights Dim ***
*** Looks into Crystal Ball ***
*** Eyes Roll Back ***

Motorola has MASSIVE trick up their sleeve. The leaks may have shown you the hardware, but nothing has prepared us for what they will release regarding the user experience. It will polarize the internet. Remember, in 2011 Google purchased Moto and rolled out legacy pre-Google devices until last year when the Moto X appeared. However, the Moto X was, in a way, still a pre-Google device EXCEPT for the optimized Android software (notice the lackluster hardware). The upcoming line of devices from Motorola will be the actual firstborn Google devices... hardware features, software features, peripheral devices, everything. Google may not have been running the day-to-day administrative aspects of Motorola, but for the past two years the slightly untamed research side of Android has been working in close conjunction with Motorola... and we are about to see the real fruits of their labor. And, before you say, "But Motorola is owned by Lenovo...". SILENCE!

The Lenovo deal won't be finalized until 2015, not a single person at Lenovo has had anything to do with any aspect of Motorola, and they won't for months to come. This is 100% Googl-rola at it's finest. And, they're gonna unveil some tricks for your ***.

Hear me now, believe me later.

*** GASP! ***
*** Lights Return ***
*** Dazed Look on Face ***

Wha-- Where?

Last edited:

jspradling7

Reaction score
Good points. The Moto devices are the only ones I'm interested in seeing out of all this. And I hope you're right because I'm really hoping for a device I like as much as I do the Moto X.

By the way... does anyone know the name of that paint in the OP?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I expect to either buy the Moto X+1, or possibly the original Moto X (since there will be a one-day special, either Sep 4 or Sep 6, for $199 retail).

No sd card and I'll probalby go with the cheaper original X to hold me over...otherwise unless the X+1 is too big (but footprint sounds very similar to the original X) or too expensive I'll go that route.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'd recommend a 64GB X if you're concerned about storage. And here's a picture of the X+1 next to the X... The size looks good. A 1/4 inch taller and 1/2 inch wider... not terribly larger. But it could be a fake.

Also, does anyone know what time the Motorola event is scheduled to happen?

Attachments

• X+1 and X.png
    X+1 and X.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend a 64GB X if you're concerned about storage. And here's a picture of the X+1 next to the X... The size looks good. A 1/4 inch taller and 1/2 inch wider... not terribly larger. But it could be a fake.

The size is my main conern....1/4" by 1/2" wider is quite a difference in the hand.

As for storage, I'm thinking a tablet is going to take care of my offline travel needs. So for my phone I just need enough storage for some workout music (I might even look into one of the watches for that).

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
I love to post my predictions...

*** Lights Dim ***
*** Looks into Crystal Ball ***
*** Eyes Roll Back ***

Motorola has MASSIVE trick up their sleeve. The leaks may have shown you the hardware, but nothing has prepared us for what they will release regarding the user experience. It will polarize the internet. Remember, in 2011 Google purchased Moto and rolled out legacy pre-Google devices until last year when the Moto X appeared. However, the Moto X was, in a way, still a pre-Google device EXCEPT for the optimized Android software (notice the lackluster hardware). The upcoming line of devices from Motorola will be the actual firstborn Google devices... hardware features, software features, peripheral devices, everything. Google may not have been running the day-to-day administrative aspects of Motorola, but for the past two years the slightly untamed research side of Android has been working in close conjunction with Motorola... and we are about to see the real fruits of their labor. And, before you say, "But Motorola is owned by Lenovo...". SILENCE!

The Lenovo deal won't be finalized until 2015, not a single person at Lenovo has had anything to do with any aspect of Motorola, and they won't for months to come. This is 100% Googl-rola at it's finest. And, they're gonna unveil some tricks for your ***.

Hear me now, believe me later.

*** GASP! ***
*** Lights Return ***
*** Dazed Look on Face ***

Wha-- Where?
From a little bit of intel I gathered between moto and Google was that Google kinda just acquired them for their patents and nothing really else. The biggest influence Google will have from Motorola is Project Ara, as well as some tech knowledge on that 3D mapping tablet/sonar thing they got going on. But predominantly project Ara is where we will see Google's biggest impact in the hardware department. Im personally waiting until that day comes. As much as I want a WOW phone from Motorola (a phablet with a stylus and slider keyboard would be great), I just hope they get their mojo back like when they were coming out with the OG Droid.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
@kodiak799. I always forget that size preference is subjective. I can completely close my hand around the Moto X and touch about a quarter inch past the first knuckle on my middle finger on my X, so to me it always felt too small. The iPhone is flat out comical. My OPO that I'm using now is right at the outer boundary of comfort, and a few factors save it. It's saved by the back texture, button placement, and weight distribution. But I always thought my old S4 was perfect in hand, with a beautiful screen (the rest of that phone could go straight in the toilet for all I care). The size of the S4 is what I'm personally hoping for from the X+1. I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll have a screen size choice.

@Heero121. If Motorola released a slider keyboard people would DEFINITELY say, "Wow". Whether or not it would be a good, "Wow"... Well....

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A "slider keyboard"? Wow, that's a blast from the past. Once you learn Swype you'll never go back to "type".

tap'n on my S5

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
A "slider keyboard"? Wow, that's a blast from the past. Once you learn Swype you'll never go back to "type".

tap'n on my S5
swype is great, but there's something annoying about losing so much real estate when that keyboard pops up, especially in landscape mode. especially when responding to emails, i like to read what im responding to.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto X+1 or Nexus X are my next choices for a device, I am interested to see how the iPhone 6 holds up/feels with the bigger screens.

on the move..