quick random reboots

sephtin

Reaction score
Something of interest from another forum:
Rubix Focused 1.6

I think I may have found the issue....

Those of you getting random reboots. How many of you use SetCPU? All my users that are getting the reboots now are using SetCPU, and all have the "clock down when the screen turns off" profile setting.

I'm wondering if it's related to that. In all cases, my "reboots" have been right as I go to turn the screen off. I always associated it with what I was just doing...but maybe it's the SetCPU clocking the CPU down. The guy who reported the reboot today was on a call and said he looked at the screen after the call ended. It came back up and then just shut off.

OP
S

sruel3216

Reaction score
Something of interest from another forum:
Rubix Focused 1.6

I think I may have found the issue....

Those of you getting random reboots. How many of you use SetCPU? All my users that are getting the reboots now are using SetCPU, and all have the "clock down when the screen turns off" profile setting.

I'm wondering if it's related to that. In all cases, my "reboots" have been right as I go to turn the screen off. I always associated it with what I was just doing...but maybe it's the SetCPU clocking the CPU down. The guy who reported the reboot today was on a call and said he looked at the screen after the call ended. It came back up and then just shut off.

nice. i remember in the original droid this was in issue, however i dont use setcpu.

i havent had any reboots since i disabled the slide lock. leads me to believe the slide lock is the main issue for most the reboots

antimatter3009

Reaction score
I've been getting these reboots as well. I posted a thread on xda about it here. I've tried lots (and lots and lots) of things to fix it, but am still getting reboots roughly once per day.

Based on the logs I caught (and a second set since then that are nearly identical), the crash is coming from an OutOfMemoryError in the KeyguardViewManager when it tries to allocate space for a bitmap. This would lead me to believe 1) that this is a Moto issue at its core, 2) higher lcd density may exacerbate the problem (by requiring more memory for the bitmaps in question, though I'm unsure of this one), and 3) that disabling the keyguard makes sense as a workaround.

I'm going to give it a shot. Fingers crossed :)

sephtin

Reaction score
I've been getting these reboots as well. I posted a thread on xda about it here. I've tried lots (and lots and lots) of things to fix it, but am still getting reboots roughly once per day.

Based on the logs I caught (and a second set since then that are nearly identical), the crash is coming from an OutOfMemoryError in the KeyguardViewManager when it tries to allocate space for a bitmap. This would lead me to believe 1) that this is a Moto issue at its core, 2) higher lcd density may exacerbate the problem (by requiring more memory for the bitmaps in question, though I'm unsure of this one), and 3) that disabling the keyguard makes sense as a workaround.

I'm going to give it a shot. Fingers crossed :)

Where did you see those logs? Or was it on the screen at one point? Would KILL for more logging on this device. :S

antimatter3009

Reaction score
Where did you see those logs? Or was it on the screen at one point? Would KILL for more logging on this device. :S

The logs came from adb logcat. I just attached my phone over usb and left logcat running, then grabbed the logs when a reboot occurred. You kind of have to get lucky, but I have the good fortune of almost always having a computer nearby so I was able to just leave it plugged in most of the time. Still took me a week to catch a second crash =\

sephtin

Reaction score

joneee

Reaction score
But I wonder if anyone happens to have tried WidgetLocker, or something similar, and if turning off default lock, and using custom widgetlocker locks resolves.. (??).

Might be worth a shot, if someone is interested in testing... :S

I'll give it a shot. I was actually getting a lot of random quick boots so I wiped my phone and started adding apps one by one to see what was causing this issues. It came right after I changed the LCD density to 200, so I changed it to 210 and it seemed a bit more stable.

I've now disabled the lock screen and using WidgetLocker instead. I went back to LCD Density 200 and will post an update tomorrow.

sephtin

Reaction score
But I wonder if anyone happens to have tried WidgetLocker, or something similar, and if turning off default lock, and using custom widgetlocker locks resolves.. (??).

Might be worth a shot, if someone is interested in testing... :S

I'll give it a shot. I was actually getting a lot of random quick boots so I wiped my phone and started adding apps one by one to see what was causing this issues. It came right after I changed the LCD density to 200, so I changed it to 210 and it seemed a bit more stable.

I've now disabled the lock screen and using WidgetLocker instead. I went back to LCD Density 200 and will post an update tomorrow.

We already know that changing the LCD Density on Fission/Focused ROMs WILL lead to reboots.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/drod2169-x/95636-quick-random-reboots.html#post980666
I believe LCD Density 240 is default... I can tell you right now, you're pretty much certain to get reboots till you go back to default. :p

GL with your testing though... Let us know what you find out.

antimatter3009

Reaction score
I've been using using WidgetLocker for forever now and haven't gotten any reboots since disabling the keyguard. I've also got my LCD density at 220 and it was at 200 previously. I figure the lcd density probably has something to do with causing the keyguard outofmemory error which led to the reboots... maybe a calculation which incorrectly assumed a 240 (default) density or something. Anyway, so far so good.

sephtin

Reaction score
I've been using using WidgetLocker for forever now and haven't gotten any reboots since disabling the keyguard. I've also got my LCD density at 220 and it was at 200 previously. I figure the lcd density probably has something to do with causing the keyguard outofmemory error which led to the reboots... maybe a calculation which incorrectly assumed a 240 (default) density or something. Anyway, so far so good.

Most people with lcd density changed get reboots all lover the place, not just at lock screen, so be prepared, and GL.
When you get sick of the reboots, returning lcd density to stock setting should make a huge difference....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

antimatter3009

Reaction score
Most people with lcd density changed get reboots all lover the place, not just at lock screen, so be prepared, and GL.
When you get sick of the reboots, returning lcd density to stock setting should make a huge difference....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
Heh, well, like I said, so far so good at least. I'll drop it back if I have to, but 240 just feels like such a waste of space on a 4.3" screen :)

Fate0n3

Reaction score
Well after a few days of running Rubix 1.6 I experienced a reboot. I have nothing installed other then bootstrap and Rom manager on the phone. It is not Overclocked or Undervolted but I do have the blackbar mod. After a lot of reading I agree with many others that I think this is a Motorola issue. My friend's first X use to reboot about once a day and he didn't even have anything installed other then facebook on it and all the bloatware. So to recap

Rubix 1.6
No OC or UV
BlackBar Mod
No apps other then Bootstrap and Rom Manager

sephtin

Reaction score
Well, SOME random rebooting are def. known about.... even by Moto:
Motorola engineering fix to solve Droid X update woes
(Note the date on that post... 3 days after the last OTA, on Sept. 26...)

But some reboots have specific causes... Example: Most people, when changing LCD Density, etc. get drastically increased number of reboots.
I'd still like to be able to nail down the causes of some of the repeating, and/or recreatable reboots...

thank you for the info... the more info we have, the better!

joneee

Reaction score
48 hours after I removed the lockscreen using "No Lock" and replacing the lockscreen with widgetlocker, I have experienced zero quick boots. Before making this configuration, I experienced at least 5 reboots a day.

LCD Density set to 210. Rooted DX with SS 1.0

I had the LCD density to 210 before trying out No Lock and this is the only thing I've changed on the phone since then.

May be a viable workaround for some people. Works great for me and I'm happy with it.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
cool ill try widgetlocker ill post if any problems arise lol so if I never post back assume its working :)

Got a Reboot but I didnt know you had to install NoLock AND Widgetlocker so reset the timer
gonna test again with NoLock and Widgetlocker.