Quick Questions

Tillmorn

Reaction score
With the Bionic looking like it'll see a release in early August, and after reading through a bunch of different postings, a question came to mind.

If the Bionic has the whole Webtop functionality crap bogging down the RAM, as some people are suggesting is the case (just like the Atrix), once rooted, would there be a way to completely do away with the Webtop portion of the phone files if you do not plan to use it? Or would you be stuck with half your RAM being locked up in something you'll never use regardless of the bootloader being unlocked or not?

trailblazen

Reaction score
it was more like 200mb tied up and thats only if the phone receives a signal that it is connected (something like webtop_1) that it is actually connected.

faganm24

Reaction score
it was more like 200mb tied up and thats only if the phone receives a signal that it is connected (something like webtop_1) that it is actually connected.

Where did you hear that? From everything I have heard it wasn't available at all. I really have no idea, but that's what others have said.

Java

Reaction score
Usually, what I do in order to avoid getting let down is never overestimate something.

In this case, we're told there will be 1.024 GB of RAM, but the phone has a webtop function. All other phones I know of with webtop and 1 GB of RAM split it 512/512 MB for webtop and phone, and I'm gonna bet that's what the Bionic is as well.

This way, if it's split it's what I expected. If it's not split (or properly allocated otherwise, hackable, or removable to open up the RAM) then I'll be ecstatic. But I'm not gonna be let down if it's not free.

Suuperflie

Reaction score
With the Bionic looking like it'll see a release in early August, and after reading through a bunch of different postings, a question came to mind.

If the Bionic has the whole Webtop functionality crap bogging down the RAM, as some people are suggesting is the case (just like the Atrix), once rooted, would there be a way to completely do away with the Webtop portion of the phone files if you do not plan to use it? Or would you be stuck with half your RAM being locked up in something you'll never use regardless of the bootloader being unlocked or not?

I was wondering about that also, because I don't think I'll use the webtop. I would think that could be done with a ROM, but then the boot loader would have to be unencrypted to load a custom ROM, so we won't know if it can be done until we find out the status of the boot loader.

OP
Tillmorn

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Usually, what I do in order to avoid getting let down is never overestimate something.

In this case, we're told there will be 1.024 GB of RAM, but the phone has a webtop function. All other phones I know of with webtop and 1 GB of RAM split it 512/512 MB for webtop and phone, and I'm gonna bet that's what the Bionic is as well.

This way, if it's split it's what I expected. If it's not split (or properly allocated otherwise, hackable, or removable to open up the RAM) then I'll be ecstatic. But I'm not gonna be let down if it's not free.

And this is what I was thinking as well. So while I'm not big on hoping when it comes to Moto and Verizon anymore, here's to Moto actually sticking to their guns and unlocking things towards the end of the year. The Bionic has a lot of potential, far more than anything else that Verizon has pushed out...and the ball is in their court to make sure this flagship doesn't sink (for this community at least).

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I hope all 1GB can be used for the phone. I can't see myself using the webtop....too expensive. Maybe if it was like $100-150 it would be worth it but it's just too much right now.

A2Aegis

Reaction score
I'm curious about this. Has the Atrix had it's RAM diverted back to Android with the help of rooting?

trailblazen

Reaction score

Where did you hear that? From everything I have heard it wasn't available at all. I really have no idea, but that's what others have said.

Found it over at HF: Motorola Droid Bionic "Targa" pre-release thread - Part 2 - Page 6

Actually, according to this from XDA it is not an entire OS but rather a new X session started in the Android OS:

"The link below is a dump of the /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 partition.

It is the entire ubuntu "distribution". However, it is not an OS per say. It is just an environment compiled and setup to run on the "android linux". Everything just runs from a second X session started on top of the native Android Arm linux redirected to the HDMI display port.

The partition has about 800MB in size and is mounted under /osh once the system boots.

Something worth to note, is that the webtop X session does not consume any RAM or system resource at all till when the phone enters RM_SM_DOCKED mode. While the phone is on RM_SM_MOBILE mode, that X session is complete shutdown."

Link to thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965434

GBH2

Reaction score
Webtop does not use any RAM unless it is being used. I believe Webtop has been falsely reported to "reserve" RAM because people bought Atrix's and saw that the available RAM was less than 1Gb and said "AHA, the damn Webtop is taking up a big chunk of my RAM". They were wrong. There is some RAM reserved for Video Memory and some RAM is being used by the Android System. Webtop does not use any RAM unless Webtop is being used. This has been shown conclusively at XDA where the actual memrory usage has been shown, Iirc, by a dev uskr.