Quick questions re: Flashing from Voodoo No_Lag

Discussion in 'Droid Charge Development' started by ripper2860, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

1st post here and looking forward to being a part of this great community. Thanks to the awesome information contained on this site (and use of an excellent Odin "sticky", I was able to flash my Charge phone w/ Voodoo_no_lag kernel. It was most definitely well worth the time and trepidation!! The TWiz interace is now quite snappy. Now I'm feeling rather "saucey" and ready to take on a new adventure, but need guideance form the fine folks here. So here's what I want to do ...

As I stated previously, I have a Samsung Charge runnign the Voodoo Kernel w/ no_lag. That means I am surrently running a Linux filesystem as opposed to RFS. I REALLY want to go to the "leaked" Gingerbread and need some guidance. I am hoping that I can revert back to the RFS filesystem by placing the uninstall folder under the Voodoo folder and then just use Odin to flash the VZW leaked Gingerbread final. I would then like to re-install the Voodoo kernel and go back to the no_lag Linux filesystem.

1. Can I use Odin to flash the VZW firmware right over Voodoo once I've rolled back the filesystem to RFS or do I need to go back to Froyo?
    2. Once on Gingerbread, can I then re-install the "Voodoo_no_lag" kernel and EXT filesystem for use with GB?
    3. What tool should I use to backup any files for recivery purposes? (Up to now -- I've been working w/o a net! :0 )

Any addtional tips/advice would be most helpful. Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Never mind ... Bricked it. :/

I was preparing in case I got the cojones to give it a try. Installed ClockWorkMod ROM manager and used it to download ClockWorkMod recovery. Thought it would be nice to make a backup of the Voodoo No_Lag install since it was working so fabulously. Told it to backup to SD Card and BOOM -- went to the initial SAMSUNG logo screen and stayed there -- never ever booted. Pulled battery and tried everything I know to do -- it would not boot or go into recovery mode. Guess ClockWorkMod backup don't like a non-standard filesystem. I knew it was going far too well. :(
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. Halo

Halo New Member

ROM Manger and the Charge do not get along at all (which you found out the hard way) You need to install CWM by flashing it with ODIN.
  4. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Whew!! Recovered via Odin and stock VZ Firmware (ED2). Especially nervous since it is a company issued phone. :blink: Applied the OTA update form VZ and am now at the latest Froyo VZ release.

Now, if one were to get adventurous once again -- how does one FLASH CWM with Odin. Is it worth going to the "leaked" Gingergread and then VooDoo No_lag (if possible) as origianlly planned in the 1st post? Or should I just leave well enough alone and wait for VZ to push an OTA GB update?
  5. Halo

Halo New Member

[RECOVERY][8-17-11]Clockwork Mod Recovery - xda-developers
    All you need to know about CWM right there. As far as Gingerbread goes, that's completely up to you.

And mind you, after flashing CWM, do not let the phone reboot. You need to boot into CWM first and flash a kernel/ROM. Otherwise the factory recovery will overwrite CWM.
  6. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

I REALLY appreciate your help. Your sig has me really intrigued w/ Gummycharged. Can this be installed via Odin?? If so, do you know of a step-by-step guide or do I use the same steps as flasging w/ Odin sticky post?? I'm really gun-shy w/ CWM and the Gummycharged install instructions all seem to be using CWM.

Edit -- It would seem the Gummycharged 2.0FE includes CWM as part of the flash. Is this correct??
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  7. Halo

Halo New Member

There is no ODIN file for GummyCharged FE 2.0 right now. You need to install CWM first. This write up will walk you right through it.

[HOW TO] "Clean" install GummyCharged FE 2.0

I'm assuming you're on EE4 stock so you'll want to put the GummyCharged FE 2.0 .zip file on your sd card before you begin this process. If you're stock EE4, you can start at step 3. Read up on how to use ODIN before you do this. It can be picky sometimes.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. ripper2860

ripper2860 Member

Looks like I have some reading to do. Thank you!!