Quick Questions about Custom Roms

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nezdude87, May 30, 2011.

1. Nezdude87

Nezdude87 New Member

I have a Motorola Milestone that's rooted with Universal Androot. The Milestone is through a regional company called Appalachian Wireless. My main questions are:

1)If I flash a custom rom, will it mess up any of my connectivity to my service provider? I'm not familiar with all the technical terms for this, so to be clear, will I be able to make and receive calls through my carrier and have data connection, roaming, and such? I've been googling for hours now, and couldn't find a definitive answer.

2) This kind of stems from the first one in a way, but since Appalachian Wireless is my carrier, do I need to find custom roms that are just made for it? I don't want to install something that's going to totally screw my phone up, so I'm just making sure.

There are other questions, but I'm googling my arse off to answer them myself. Since my carrier is a smaller company, it's really hard to find specific posts and info about my situation. I'm fairly certain that the CDMA Milestone only has a name difference from the Droid, I've read that Droid roms run on them just the same.

I'm all about reading things up on my own before posting, but I came up with nothing. If someone could even point me in the right direction about anything I've mentioned, even that would be greatly appreciated.
  2. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

As long as you flash a ROM that has everything functional, it will in no way mess with your carrier. You'll still be able to make and receive calls and text messages and get and send data and all that stuff. The only thing that is specific is the device model. You can only flash ROMs actually made for the Milestone, not ones that are made for like the Nexus or anything. As long as the ROM is for a Milestone, you're good to go!
  3. Nezdude87

Nezdude87 New Member

Thanks a lot. I'm getting ready to use Cyanogenmod 6.1.2, I've heard it's the most stable and seen it in action on Youtube. I'm doing this through the Rom Manager app, and I've already backed my phone up. It's amazing what forums and Google can teach you, haha. Thanks again, I never planned on flashing custom roms, I was happy with just overclocking, but seeing all of these awesome things being done on Droids and Milestones kind of lured me into all this.
  4. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

If possible, I would do this through your pc instead of using Rom Manager. I've seen people have sooooooo many issues when downloading ROMs through the phone instead of downloading on pc then copying to sdcard. It really is ridiculous how much you can improve your device once you root and flash a ROM. Seeing how all this is done and what is possible is what inspired me to build a froyo AND gingerbread rom for the HTC Eris (before I took it swimming lol). Now I got the regular Droid and man I'm just blown away at what these phones can do. Waiting to see what comes out by March 2012 that way I'm ready for my upgrade.
  5. Nezdude87

Nezdude87 New Member

I've already started the install, we'll see how it goes I guess. :)
  6. Nezdude87

Nezdude87 New Member

Everything works. I think it should be mentioned that the A854 Milestone is the exact same phone as the Droid. Everything that works for the droid works for the CDMA Milestone. I have Gingerbread now thanks to Cyanogenmod, and I'm overclocked to 1.1Ghz. Everything's stable, I'm glad I decided to do this.

Sent from my Milestone using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
does installing custom rom mess up flashed phone

motorola milestone custom rom for canadian provider