Quick Question

irishbuddha25

Reaction score
Hello all! I just have a quick question. I want to sell my RAZR Maxx and wanted to get a Galaxy Nexus. My question is can I order the Nexus off of Amazon Wireless as adding a line to my family account, but activate it on my current phone number and just pay the $10 add a line fee for the new line with no phone associated with it? And would this allow me to sell my RAZR Maxx as having a "clean esn"? Thank you in advance for your help. P.S. I plan on having my sister use the new line at the end of the year when her contract is up and she will be using her current phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes you can add a line but if you use it to buy a smartphone, you must also add a data package with it (cheapest being $30 for 2gb.) Then you can switch lines but you must still pay the $10 line fee and data fee. I'm pretty sure you can't remove the data fee even if there's no phone associated with it.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
yes and no... Yes you can order it as a new line, but since you are ordering a smart phone it must come with a data package. If I am not mistaken what you would have to do is associate a dumb phone on the new line after you switch the GNex to your number, then you will be able to drop the extra data package too. If you don't have an old phone laying around you can pick them up pretty cheap or ask a friend if they have one.

Hope this makes sense....

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's where I'm iffy too. I don't think you can remove the data even if there's not a phone on the line since you're agreeing to a new 2 year smartphone contract

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
This was my situation and I asked a CS rep (not that they ever all say the same thing so you can never be certain BUT... time will tell I guess)

My step son has not been very productive since graduating HS... so to reward him with a smartphone is not high on my priority list. However, he just got his first job and I have been back and forth with the idea, if he were to pay the data package (he needs some responsibility)

I asked VZW what happens if we make the deal he agree to pay and doesn't, can I shut it off? What happens with the discount I got from the phone? What are my best options.

They said just keep his old feature phone, if he doesn't keep up with his end of the bargain with me, I can reactivate the feature phone on his account and shut off the data and sell his smartphone if I want or use it as my own line or as a paper weight for all they care. As long as I keep the line for x months, with a feature phone or a smartphone, I will not be charged more for the upgrade.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
You can drop the data package with no consequence as long as you pay the $10 a month for a feature phone on the line.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hello all! I just have a quick question. I want to sell my RAZR Maxx and wanted to get a Galaxy Nexus. My question is can I order the Nexus off of Amazon Wireless as adding a line to my family account, but activate it on my current phone number and just pay the $10 add a line fee for the new line with no phone associated with it? And would this allow me to sell my RAZR Maxx as having a "clean esn"? Thank you in advance for your help. P.S. I plan on having my sister use the new line at the end of the year when her contract is up and she will be using her current phone.

If you order it through Amazon using the $10 add a line deal, you have to keep the phone you bought on that line for 6 months. If you change the phone off that added line then you will have to pay a $250 penalty. For some reason Amazon and Wirefly have this condition when buying a phone through them. Verizon, Costco, and best buy do not. Once you buy the phone through them they do not care what you do with the phone, you just have to keep the line for two years. Hope this helps.

Caesars

Reaction score
For good reason Hehe, Amazon would lose a ton of commission on the deal if you cancel before that Hehe.

DROID RAZR MAXX