Quick Question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by syndicate0017, Jun 19, 2011.

1. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

So I've had my D1 rooted and ROMed for almost a year now. Today, my search key stopped working and the corners of my phone no longer are touch sensitive. In the market, I cannot click the search button because my screen doesn't work. In text messages, I cannot click the backspace on the touch keyboard.

Now that you have some information, on to my question. I have already SBFed and OTA updated to 2.2.2. I have had the phone for a year and 4 months. Will Verizon accept my claim and replace my phone? Or do I only have 1 year for any defects? I'd rather try and go through Verizon before going through Asurion. Thanks for any help in advance. If you guys have any other advice, please let me know.
  2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

From your post I assume you have insurance from VZW as well as asurion. I am pretty sure as long as you still have the phone insured you are good to go, no time limits.

Sent from my DROID2
  3. Trigger

Trigger New Member

VZW has a one year limited warranty on all devices. They will tell you that you have to get it through Assurion.

Tappin' and Talkin' on my OG Droid
    Rooted: RZRecovery
    ROM: ChevyNo1 SS v5.4
    Kernel: ChevyNo1 MV125-1200mhz
    Theme: MBK's TruBlue HoneyGingerComb with Matrix Pulldown
  4. JSM9872

Even if paying for insurance from VZW? I stand corrected. My bad...

Sent from my DROID2
  5. syndicate0017

Thanks for the responses, guys. Even though it wasn't quite the response I was looking for. :(

Any chance I can talk Assurion into a D2 or Dx? Or am I looking at CLNR D1?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. syndicate0017

UPDATE: So I decided to take my phone into Verizon anyway. I actually happened to be still under the manufacturer warranty (for whatever reason). I was ectstic to be getting a new phone for free.

Guy says, "Well, even though you're in warranty, it's voided."
    WHAT????. He goes on to say because I have 3 scratches (not even on the screen) that I abused my phone....I've had it almost a year and a half...he even looked back over it and said "Well, maybe.....no. No. It's too scratched.

Now I HAVE to go through Asurion because of Verizon's new policy. Ridiculous.

7. DROID11

DROID11 New Member

Call 18664065154. That's the warranty # for Verizon. If you're under warranty a few scratches don't void your warranty. However, being rooted does, so take it back to stock before you send it back or you'll get the 299.99 charge on your next bill.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  8. syndicate0017

I SBFed it this morning. I took it back in completely stock so that's not the issue. I'll give that number a call. Thanks

9. JSM9872

Make sure you update us. My D1 has been acting squirrelly lately so I've been considering sbf-ing and getting a replacement as well.

Sent from my DROID2
  10. syndicate0017

New UPDATE: So I called the manufacturer's warranty # and the lady I spoke to said the same thing. According to Verizon's newest policy "any cosmetic damage is grounds for voiding manufacturer's warranty claims". Ridiculous.

So after arguing 25 minutes over how 3 scratches on a battery cover voids my warranty, I caved and said just send me through to Asurion. The Verizon rep took my information and told me it would be $39 for a replacement D1. Not bad, I thought. Better than wasting an upgrade (waiting for Bionic).

So, I'm patched through to Asurion. They tell me I don't have account access. Odd, because my NAME is on the account!!! The lady continually denies me access and eventually hangs up on me. So I call back. Again, I am denied access. So after 25 minutes more with Verizon, I got it all straightened out.

I'm finally to the point of providing the shipping address and then the lady says it will cost $50! I argue that I was told $39 for another 10 or 15 minutes before I just give in. Just ship the damn phone....I wasn't going to waste another minute of my day over $11 (technically $50 because I should have got it for free).

They are shipping me a refurb D1. You BETTER believe the first time that thing reboots on me, I'm calling Asurion up and demanding a D2 or DX. If you're looking for any kind of customer service, you're better off switching to a new carrier....
  11. JSM9872

Well having to pay $50 sucks, they used to be so good with replacements. It was a big part of why I have stayed with them so long.

If you don't mind me asking, and if you do I understand and you dont need to answer, but do you pay for full insurance from VZW? The reason I ask is because I do and if they gave you this much trouble I am going to investigate and possibly cancel it.

Sent from my DROID2
  12. syndicate0017

I don't mind you asking. I pay $5.99/month for ANY and ALL damage to my phone. Their new warranty policy is a complete and utter joke. When my contract runs out, I'm gone. I don't travel much and I'm from the Atlanta area so service won't really be an issue.

13. JSM9872

Thanks for the super fast reply. And that is insane. It sounds like I am going to have to check that out and evaluate my insurance situation.

Glad you got your issue sorted out although not completely ideal.

Sent from my DROID2
  14. chef

chef New Member

I'd recommend Best Buys insurance. It's a bit high at $10 a month but it covers everything including the phone getting lost or stolen. At my job I slid under a truck and my phone came out of my pocket. I backed up and afterwards the biggest piece was the sd card (excluding the battery cover). Anyways I brought it to Best Buy and they gave me a loner and next week I got a refurbished D1. Good service and smooth transactions. Best of all I didn't have to jump through hoops or wait on hold and I wasn't without a phone for week.
Search tags for this page

18664065154 warrenty