Quick question from the newbie

pattikate

Reaction score
First let me say, everyone's been very helpful in answering my questions regarding my limited knowledge on the wonderful world of Android. Thanks much!

OK, now here's my question:

If I go to Settings>> Wireless & Networks>> then un-check the "Enable Always-On Mobile Data" option, what exactly will this disable? Will this simply disable the auto syncing/updates for apps, such as weather, facebook, email, etc.? Because I'd rather check for updates manually (refresh) then having my Droid X constantly updating and draining the battery.

Thanks (again) for your help.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
First let me say, everyone's been very helpful in answering my questions regarding my limited knowledge on the wonderful world of Android. Thanks much!

OK, now here's my question:

If I go to Settings>> Wireless & Networks>> then un-check the "Enable Always-On Mobile Data" option, what exactly will this disable? Will this simply disable the auto syncing/updates for apps, such as weather, facebook, email, etc.? Because I'd rather check for updates manually (refresh) then having my Droid X constantly updating and draining the battery.

Thanks (again) for your help.

I have an HTC Thunderbolt. I have this setting checked because I really only want to use my phone when the screen is on. I still get texts/calls with that un-checked. What it does is turn off 3G/4G and any data after 5 minutes of the screen being off and keeps it off until you start your screen again. Correct, it would be kind of like manually refreshing your droid - you'll notice anything that is set to sync will sync the next time your phone's screen will turn on. You'll also notice you don't have any 3G/4G symbol until a few seconds after you turn on your phone.

I'm testing this because I have a lot of standby time and I don't NEED or want facebook/weather/whatever updates every second. So far, I'm experiencing some sweet standby time with the 3G/4G radio disabled while the phone is off.

To answer your questions - it won't disable them, but it will prevent them from syncing until the next time your screen is on. (You'll see a little circle sync symbol the next time you turn on your phone). I still have all my syncs set to once a day and every morning when I wake up and turn on my phone it goes through a min-2 of syncing.

My Sources:
http://androidforums.com/incredible...od-reason-keep-enable-always-mobile-data.html
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f41/what-do-i-lose-if-i-disable-always-on-mobile-20158/
http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/91/p/4040/17197.aspx
And my experience with doing this myself for 2 days now.

Last edited:
OP
P

pattikate

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.

Btw...what's the best way to customize or set your email accounts (Gmail and Yahoo for me) to sync every four hours or whatever?