Quick question for skype users on Droid 1

bodean

Reaction score
Question. First off, which version do I want to download on the market? Noticed there are 2 different versions. Also, my girlfriend just bought an ipod touch 4g. She has skype on that, with video calling. Am I correct that I can not do video calling with my droid 1?

Riley

Reaction score
I have used both versions. Each has a little bit different UI. Neither has video abilities on a D1, only IM chat and calling. I found both to be a little hard on my battery if you let it run all the time.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Video calling with no forward facing camera? Wouldn't that be your caller looking at the ground while you watch what they say/do, and you not seeing their reaction while you talk? Maybe a few small mirrors?

Once we're on 4G/LTE, a phone without a forward facing camera is going to be a questionable purchase. But D1 owners have had a lot to love for a long time so far. There's nothing out there I'd trade mine for.

I use the version of Skype named Skype Mobile(tm) (without the "for Verizon" part). It's good, solid, basic chat on the only network I care about.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Skype Mobile that uses the Verizon voice system is good if you're driving -- can't use data then anyway, unless you're using Maps/Nav, in which case you probably shouldn't be on the phone anyway ;) -- and the sound quality is pretty good. Also works with a Bluetooth headset. Best part, the number is one of the nulls that Verizon doesn't charge you for using.