Quick question about space

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sandfreak, Aug 31, 2010.

1. sandfreak

sandfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been wondering the past couple days how much space i have left on my internally

i have about 70 apps and about 15 rom backups

i don't know if this is quite a bit and i'm running out of space or if i still have plenty of room left.

how do i find this out and what do others do to save space?

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Tap menu, tap settings, tap SD card and storage settings

3. sandfreak

sandfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have 105mb internal storage available

about how much space does a backup account for? anybody know?

4. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I believe that most backups are stored on the SD card not internal memory because if you are wiping data and cache a backup stored internally would be deleted.

Mike

5. sandfreak

sandfreak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh right on, thank you thats good to know

so it's pretty much my apps taking up the internal storage?

6. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I believe so

7. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Download the Mini Info widget. It is a 2x1 widget which shows battery percentage left, amount of internal space free, and amount of SD card space free. Tapping the widget shows CPU usage, RAM usage, and icons to turn on/off bluetooth, GPS, etc. Pretty cool widget.

8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ROM backups are stored to the SD card, so they don't have any effect on internal storage. The internal storage on the Droid is broken up into a few pieces: system, data, and cache. System contains anything installed by the ROM - the AndroidOS and system apps, basically. Cache contains almost nothing, but is used for installing OTA updates. CyanogenMod uses the cache partition to store the cache for system apps. Data is probably the storage you're most concerned with - that is where downloaded apps, their data, and their cache is stored.

On Droid, /data is about 260MB. That includes the downloaded apps, the "dalvik cache" made when you run the apps the first time, and the data used by the apps. Some apps are smart and store data on the SD card (camera, etc), but most apps need their settings to be on the internal memory to make sure that they will work properly without an SD card.

Here are a couple tricks:

Android makes a cache file for every app you install, but I don't believe there is any mechanism for automatically purging old cache files. If you install a lot of apps and then remove them later, you may have a bunch of cache files sitting around that don't go to anything. You can safely delete the contents of /data/dalvik-cache from time to time, so long as you reboot immediately afterwards (the cache will rebuild on reboot and generate cache files only for the apps currently installed).

You can install some apps to the SD card. Don't install apps to the SD card if they have widgets - otherwise the widgets will be broken any time you reboot or unmount the SD card. If you don't use the widgets for that app, you might be ok. Don't be surprised if you don't save as much space as you think when you move an app to the SD card - some apps still insist on storing their data on the /data partition. Doesn't make sense, really, so I can only hope that it will improve when apps update to properly support SD installs. Unfortunately, every other android phone has a much larger /data space, so there won't be as much public outcry for installing to SD card.

To save more space on /data you can install apps as system apps. Not every app will be able to work like that, but moving things into /system will free up some space in /data.

Search tags for this page

how to find out how much storage space on droid x

how to remove data to save space on droid dna