Quick question about 2.1 roms and /data wipes

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by daggah, Mar 19, 2010.

1. daggah

daggah New Member

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the whole Android hacking thing...I consider myself a power user when it comes to PCs and tech though. I've messed with a couple versions of 2.0.1 Bugless Beast roms, as well as the last version of Sholes and the current version of DroidMod. I'm mostly happy overall with DroidMod 1.0; I feel like it has most of the 2.1 things I would want. On the other hand, over the last few weeks I've begun to see some force closes that are bugging me. (FWIW, I'm overclocked mildly to 800 MHz.)

But I'd like to try a 2.1 version of Bugless Beast....however, I'm wary of the Nandroid install method because I really don't want to lose my /data. It's a pain to reinstall apps and I don't want to lose my app data (stuff like SMS messages, configuration settings, game high scores, etc.) If I install and wipe /data, can I reboot and do an advanced nandroid install of /data, or will that most likely cause problems?

Thanks for the help guys.
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

If you want to save your app and app data then back it up with titanium backup from the market.
    You need to wipe the data to install new Roms especially 2.1 Roms to avoid any issues. DM is backed up on your SDcard so if you want to go back just use astro to reinstall/ flash Droidmod. I did it about a month ago when I went from Droidmod to Blackmod UD back to DM.
  3. pc747

Are you going 2.1 because you tired of waiting for the ota or were you just plan on rooting. The reason I asked is because I went back to DM because if the official 2.1 ota is rootable I am going back to stock and installing it. And I know with droidmod it is just one button and I am back. And even though the ota is delayed, I am waiting until we get word of when it will be released. I just got tired of rooting, unrooting, rerooting.
    With droidmod and helixlauncher I have enough to keep me satisfied while I wait. But that is my personal opinion.
  4. daggah

daggah New Member

I just want to try something different because I'm kinda tired of getting force closes with DroidMod 1.0. Not that I dislike DM or anything, it's definitely pro (especially the install process!) Other than the FC's, it's been a very, very nice experience.
  5. pc747

Im not gonna hold you back on that. PersonallY i have not had any f/c except when I had a bad launcher installed. After I removed it every thing has been smooth. With that said The Blackmod 5.0 was smooth for me and ran cooler when it first came out. I acn inmaginge how smoother the newest one is. Best to luck with you.
  6. daggah

daggah New Member

Hey, I appreciate the replies.

Mainly the app I see force closing a lot is com.motorola.worldclock. I get some Home FCs rarely, as well as other rare FCs. I am using the stock (well, DroidMod stock) launcher.
  7. pc747

the laucher that was buggy was the 2.1 sense ui launcher; I loved it but it was too unstable. Since I switched to Helixlauncher its been smooth. I will admit that DM runs hot compared to the other 2.1 based roms. I have been tempted to switch but have been holding off since new of the ota a couple of days ago. Ima hold off and see what happens in the next couple of days.