Quick question aboiut Root/OTA Updates

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have an original droid by Motorola - rooted with Froyo installed (FRG01B).
I may need to take this into Verizon to get it looked at (having some geolocation problems and the phone sometimes isn't working right).
My question is this:

If I backup the phone using the nandroid backup, could I get the OTA update from Verizon - take the phone in and then use the backup to get back to the configuration I have on there now - or do I need to root the phone all over again, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

OP
A

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

Just bumping this since I never got an answer.....

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you go back to unrooted stock then you have to reflash recovery, reroot, then you should be able to restore a backup. Might be a good idea to copy your sdcard to your computer and format sdcard as well. This should erase most if not all traces of being rooted.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
A

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
Thanks RCK76 - so I basically need to do my backup - then copy everything off the the droid - go back to stock and then take the phone into verizon. I would then start the whole rooting process over again and once done use the backup to restore to the last settings before I un-rooted.
Can I get to un-rooted status by using the backup I made before the phone was rooted?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Potentially yes. How did you root? Did you use link one in my signature? If so, if you backed up before you applied update.zip it will return you to stock with stock recovery.

You should also wait to receive the OTA for 2.2.2 because they for sure will ask why you are still 3 updates behind.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
A

ark(i)tek

Reaction score
I forgot how I rooted actually - it's been quite a while. I did make a backup of my original non-rooted configuration though and have made a backup every time I updated the OS.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So give it a shot. You should have a clean app drawer (no superuser app).

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk