Questions...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Foreverrr, May 3, 2010.

1. Foreverrr

Foreverrr New Member

I have a few questions about rooting my droid...

Is it 'bad' to root my droid?
    How hard is it to root it?
    Do i have to root it in order to overclock it?
    what are all the disadvantages/disadvantages for rooting?

thanks!
  2. meek_reese

meek_reese New Member

I'm probably not the best person on these forums to answer, but I'll give it a shot....

Its only bad in the sense that you are voiding your warranty with Verizon. If you root and find you have problems, Verizon will not service your phone. It is, however, easy to get your phone back to "stock" so that if a problem arises, you can take it back to Verizon. The only other "bad" thing about rooting is that you will become addicted to trying new ROMs and kernels and everything that goes with that.

I did the rooting process the long way, step by step from user Matth3w's guide and rootyourdroid.info. It was very easy, but a pretty lengthy process. If you read everything 2 or 3 times before you do anything, there is very little chance you will make a mistake (although it does happen). Rooting itself is simple, and only takes applying an update.zip to your phone. It is the process of installing a custom recovery image and backing up/booting new ROMs that takes the most time.

As far as I know, you have to be rooted to overclock.

Overclocking was the biggest draw for me to root. there are other advantages that I'm sure I take for granted, since I've been rooted for 4 months now, so others may be able to speak to that.

Here is the thread that started it all for me:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/28436-complete-how-how-mod-your-phone-2-1-rom-o-c-mm-boot-animation-etc.html

you may want to check with matth3w before doing anything with that guide, as some of the important links might be dead.
    Last edited: May 3, 2010