Questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by n0useforaname, Jan 3, 2011.

1. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

Ok...I rooted my Droid using Super One Click...worked like a charm. I now have installed:

ROM Manager
    Clockworkmod Recovery
    Titanium backup
    Busybox
    SetCPU

Now if I understand correctly....ROM manager installs new ROM's...which are basically from my understanding like flashing a new OS onto a PC....and you just need to find one that you like.. I've already made a backup in ROM Manager...and I also made a backup in Titanium Recovery....which my understanding means I have a good image if I screw my phone to restore it back to what it is...and Titanium puts all my apps, settings, etc.. back.

Now here are my questions:

1. If I put a new ROM on my phone will I lose my calling capabilities? Do I have to reactivate my phone?
    2. How high can I set my Set CPU thing? What's the fastest I can run my processor without killing my phone?....max and least (if that makes sense)
    3. My goal from rooting is to be able to have a faster phone, with a cool theme, keep all my current google apps and store.. What ROM should I use? What is the most common one? I'm sure most people just root and do a common tweak.. Also...when Gingerbread comes out I'm guessing there will be a rooted version I can use?
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Make sure you have a solid backup before you make any change even before you add a theme or kernel. That way if you do not like the theme or have a problem a simple restore has you back in a few minutes.

Hope this is helpful.
    Mike

BTW

I changed three roms today.
  3. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

To make my backup I opened ROM Manager and did it from there. It booted my phone into recovery mode and made a backup then rebooted again and went back to a GUI....so I'm assuming that would be want I want for a backup right?

Now my other question is....when doing a new ROM....can I just open ROM manager, download a ROM and install from there? Or do I need to wipe stuff, etc.? Someone said to put on the new ROM, make a backup of that, reinstall all my stuff and then make a backup off that. Sorry, I'm new and have been reading like CRAZY...but some stuff is still unclear.

Also....what are good ROM's that let you customize? Like give me something legit to start with....I've been reading a lot about bugless beast?? And some cyanomyde or something like that. Any advice?
  4. mwhartman

BB and Cyanogen are good roms. I've run both. Additionally, I've installed Simply Stunning, Succulent Desire, and Sapphire. Currently, I've been switching between MIUI and Project Elite. All that I've mentioned are stable roms.

Mike
  5. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

Ok...couple more questions :D

I actually wasn't asking about a theme....I was asking that because I heard that Cyanogen actually has stuff built in that allows you to customize? Not sure if that was true or not.

Also, which ROM have you liked the most? Do any of them let you copy paste, etc..? Or do they compare with 2.2.1? I promise I'll leave you alone soon, but I REALLY appreciate this!
  6. mwhartman

Don't worry about asking questions. You are doing the correct thing but asking questions first rather than later when something has gone wrong.

Glad to help.

Mike
  7. mwhartman

Just curious -- what rom did you decide to install and do you like it?
  8. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

Well I actually haven't installed one yet. I was thinking either PE 4 or Cyanogen......but the iphone based one is intriguing! Right now with my stock setup running Set CPU and the cache clear, etc.. my phone is running lightening fast....like crazy fast. I was actually debating on whether I even wanted to run a ROM...but I probably will, esp. since I have a backup and can go back. But I do have a couple more questions:

1. Do I leave USB debugging turned on ALL the time since I'm rooted? I had to turn it on to root but no one ever says to turn it off.
    2. Also....do I just follow the prompts in ROM manager to install a ROM? Or are there other steps I need to know....I was reading somewhere that after you install a ROM and it reboots you have to do a screen touch thing?? Like touch the 4 corners? I'm afraid of killing my phone....because I"m not sure if I'm smart enough to boot into recovery mode myself and do an install from there.
  9. mwhartman

You do not need to do the 4 corners.

I understand your concern about "killing" your phone. Did you verify that the backups were successfully created? That is KEY! Should you mess up, you can restore a backup or use SBF/RSD to get back.

Mike
  10. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I leave debugging on. If you touch the 4 corners, you will bypass the activation screen. Your contacts and email won't load until you activate your phone.

Swyped from the DroidForums App
  11. s24txgcs

s24txgcs New Member

i havent been able to find any roms that runn good on my droid 2...any one know one that works good?
  12. mwhartman

13. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

Yes, I def. have a backup made. I called it STOCK...and it shows in the restore section of ROM manager and it show in the clockwork thing under my SD card.

And one more question...(I'll just keep saying that)

I'm guessing I'll use ROM manger to get back to a previous backup. So since I have Titanium.....that should backup my ROM manger app right? And then all I really need to do is install a new ROM....re download Titanium.....then restore my apps?
  14. mwhartman

That works! I have Titanium but honestly I do not use it. The newer roms sync your apps for you (depending on how many you have determines the time to restore). Keep in mind that your apps are associated with your Google account so when you reactive the apps reinstall. The biggest advantage to Titanium, I believe, is it will restore the apps setting and data.

I do not care about losing call history or text messages. Since my email, contacts, and calendar are in Google they all come back.

Do not worry about the number of questions. We all started at square one and had a lot of questions. Just pass it on.
  15. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

Ok here is the deal.....I downloaded Cyanogen mod from ROM manager....it gave me the 2 options to wipe and cache and backup current ROM....I did....it rebooted...then a screen with a big white triangle popped up with an exclamation point in it....and there was a picture of a phone laying sideways....and that was it. I had to pull battery and reboot...anyone know what that means??
  16. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Do you have a recovery?? If so, manually boot into it and restore your backup you should've made. Then, dl'd your ROM without using ROM Manager. Then boot back into recovery and flash it yourself...ROM Manager has been a bit off lately.

DroidForums Junkie!!
  17. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

Ok....latest update on my life: YAY!

I found that when it boots to the /!\ screen, all you have to do is flash the phone with SPRecovery...then instantly flash back to Clockwork, then install the ROM....works like a charm! I recently just installed Cyanogen MOD...I like it, it lets me customize nicely! My problem now is, there are SO many different ROMs and I want to try them, but restoring all the crap (data/apps/etc) takes FOREVER....so I"m not sure if I want to keep trying new ROMs or not.
  18. mwhartman

Glad you got Cyanogen installed. While I have RM installed (purchased and installed so that I could help others) I prefer SPR which I keep installed.

If you want to try different roms istall a rom and get your phone set up. Make a backup, wipe (data and cache) install another rom, set up, make a backup, etc. Then, when you decide which rom you like best or preforms best on your phone simply wipe (data and cache) and restore that particular rom.

Redoing, like backing up and installing a new rom, will get easier the more often that you do it.

Mike

BTW

sorry I was not available last evening when you encountered the problem. My wife and I were out for the evening.
  19. n0useforaname

n0useforaname New Member

It's all good man, you REALLY helped me out a lot! I've noticed that the more I play, the more comfortable I get. I installed Cyanogen...and then after getting it setup the way I wanted....I became an idiot and didn't do a backup....about 5 minutes ago I tried to install a Metamorph clock icon and F'd the phone again....but thank god I just restored it to my first backup which worked nicely! Now I'm back to Cyanogen again! So I think I am going to do what you said....just install the Rom...find which one I like, then set everything up. And also...let me ask this....since I'm on a different ROM....the App store is the old style again.....is there a way to get it to the new style??
  20. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

You could do the 4 corner thing to see if you like the new rom. If you do, log in to gmail, then continue to set up the phone. If not, then flash your back up.

Swyped from the DroidForums App