Questions that will help me decide to get TB or not

The Droid King

Reaction score
The following questions will help me decide to get the TB or not

1.) Can the TB be rooted to where you can make the TB a hotspot for free (w/o having to pay for the service through verizon) to connect your laptop, computer, xbox live etc..

2.) Is there a function to switch from 3g/4g

General question... Is there any way verizon can find out you have rooted your phone to get the 4g hotspot for free and get in trouble/sued.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
Yes
No... U only need a Google account
Yes
And possibly but not without invading a lot of privacy laws

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score
Oops, I didnt mean to ask the msn/hotmail question lol. Thanks though.

MrKleen

Reaction score
In froyo you can tether, but in gingerbread Verizon has blocked use of free tethering.

Rooting is very easy and yes you can toggle 3/4g.

Enjoy!

OP
T

The Droid King

Reaction score
So what would be my best bet to get hotspot for free after rooting, Revo or TB?

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Yes, the TB can be rooted to the tethering apps.
Yes, there are several apps on the Market which will allow you to switch from 3g to 4g.

If I'm not mistaken, Verizon won't be able to tell if you have rooted the phone. (Although if you are running some kind of foreign firmware on it that their system doesnt recognize, they may notice it, but they really cant do anything about it)

Somehow, they are able to tell if you are tethering, AT&T did this, I haven't heard of VZ doing this yet but it is possible. They definitely can't sue you, but they may try to charge you (although I doubt they will even notice)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
there's apps that will let you go to a menu and switch 3g to 4g but there are no toggles and there are no apps that will do it automatically for you, like juice defender or tasker.

You can tether, though if you get gingerbread there's reports of verizon blocking it. I'm pretty sure verizon can tell if you're rooted, if only based on if you've updated from them or not.

Also beware of random reboots and gps not locking on quick nor staying locked on (I've missed my turn a few times as the gps looses connection and then jumps back to lock on as I've passed my turn.