Questions on my new MAXX

usmcamgrimm

Reaction score
I've had my MAXX for 4 days now, and I love it! I upgraded my OG for this, and it's so much better than I thought it would be. However, there are a few things I'm not sure of with this phone.
1. The screen seems to have a sort of green-ish tint sometimes. Is this normal?
2. When I try to move an app to the SD card, it gives me the option of moving it to the "media area". I haven't seen an option for the SD card. What is this media area, and how do I get to the SD card?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've had my MAXX for 4 days now, and I love it! I upgraded my OG for this, and it's so much better than I thought it would be. However, there are a few things I'm not sure of with this phone.
1. The screen seems to have a sort of green-ish tint sometimes. Is this normal?
2. When I try to move an app to the SD card, it gives me the option of moving it to the "media area". I haven't seen an option for the SD card. What is this media area, and how do I get to the SD card?

Hi. The greenish tint is fairly common, some apparently have a bluish tint, some yellow? Mine all have a bluish tint.

Now as for the SD card issue. There are 2 SD cards. One is sdcard which is really internal storage, the other is sdcard-ext, which is your removable SD card.

Hope this helps?

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
1. I don't notice a greenish tint on mine, but I've seen other users mention it.

2. The internal storage is partitioned into three sections - App storage, media area, and OS. In order for the partitioned user-available portion of the internal memory - called "media area" - to be properly recognized by the Android OS, it's actually named "sdcard" in the OS file structure. So, because of the way Motorola has things set up, your phone views the media area as the SD card. The actual SD card is called "sdcard-ext" in the file structure, and you can't natively move applications to it. The thinking here is that between the dedicated app storage and the media area (both of which are a part of the internal memory, totaling around 11GB), most users shouldn't need to move any apps to the actual SD. Additionally, apps can misbehave and cause problems when stored on the actual SD card if everything doesn't load properly (or if the SD card is removed), so this a way to prevent any issues along those lines.

Last edited:

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The screen tint is common on Super AMOLED screens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Reaction score
Thank You! That does make sense. The greenish tint isn't bad enough to complain about, and I'm not really worried about it. One more question though. I have auto-rotate on, but neither the home screen or the app drawer rotate. Am I missing something, or is it not built to rotate?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thank You! That does make sense. The greenish tint isn't bad enough to complain about, and I'm not really worried about it. One more question though. I have auto-rotate on, but neither the home screen or the app drawer rotate. Am I missing something, or is it not built to rotate?

They don't rotate with the stock launcher. If you install a third-party launcher, they both can rotate.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, both should rotate. Although probably not the problem, check to make sure Auto-rotate screen is checked in your display settings. If that is not the case, try restarting your phone to see if that solves the rotation problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bsweetness said:
They don't rotate with the stock launcher. If you install a third-party launcher, they both can rotate.

Oops, my bad. I don't use the stock launcher but if I did, I would not be happy they didn't rotate. Why would Motorola do that?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa&hl=en (and at least one or two other similar utilities), will allow you to increase the Blue & Red slightly (5-15) to offset the warmer screen color and that will take the Yellow/Green tint away. You can play with the ratio between Red and Blue (as well as Green) and "calibrate" the screen to a close visual approximation to White where White should be. The only downfalls to this method are as follows:

1. When the screen brightness changes, the warmth of the screen colors change as well, sort of like when you dim a lightbulb and it goes from White to a Reddish Yellow. This natural trend will impact how the Screen Adjuster will affect the overall screen colors, such that at lower screen brightness you may find it needs slightly more adjustment away from the Yellow/Green and towards the Blue & Red.
2. I found that when Screen Adjuster is active, APK files that are downloaded to the SD Card from sources other than the Play Store (such as a website, Amazon.com, or already stored from a backup), will not install properly, due to the "Install" button being grayed out. If you go into Settings, Applications, Running Services, and kill the Screen Adjuster first, then the APK will install properly. It's a strange bug but 100% reproducible.

Aside from those two issues, I've found it quite effective.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

OP
usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Reaction score
I started using Nemus launcher again. Auto rotate works now. Don't really get why Moto has it as an option when they've got it disabled.
Foxkat, thank you very much. I will give that a try.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sounds good. Just a note, less is more...meaning even just a +5 or so on Blue and Red is enough to offset the slightly yellow/green shifted color, but depending on how bad it is on your particular phone, and as said before also how dark or light the screen brightness is set to. Good luck! :biggrin: