Questions on froyo, rooting ..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by RW-1, Jun 9, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Posted in different threads, but to no avail. So here I am.

Inadvertantly as some others hath discovered, I find myself with froyo when I took he plunge, and entered the wonderful world of root!
    (my build was rooted, not my intention, however since I had foresight to make a nandroid backup of my 2.1 stock, I'm not concerned, plus I'm told the froyo builds, while rooted, still have the certs to get the 2.2 official OTA down th line).

Ok, so I've done two builds, and two baseband upgrades, etc.

Here are my questions:

1. Lost my Droid sound on startup/shutdown, now it just vibrates. Can I get that back, if so how? More importantly, I'd ike to hear that I'm not alone in that reguard, would make me feel better.

2. Obviously, I think just because I have the SU ninja, that may not be an real indication that I'm rooted, how to test?

3. If I am rooted, then obviously (talking to tank too) astro won't work for me to move files to system/app.
    (I wanted to try for my first mod: backing up geniewidget and replacing wih the transparent one I have on me, I hope that would be all that was needed to be done, but astro wont move it, perms)
    What would/can I use at this point, free if possible, but I know root explorer is available ...

4. Noob stuff: I guess a confirmation that I rooted is that astro starts in mnt/sdcard instead of sdcard. Can I get a short description of the file structure? I cant believe that mnt/sdcard is a secondary copy of the whole SD, is it like a dynamic link with special perms (am I mking sense here? :) )

I do want to thank everyone so far who has been with me as I took the plunge. I'm basically a wuss with this one, more than just a phone, and I've done plenty of mods on my razr's in the past. I'm actually getting used to being rooted, and as I take my baby steps, I'll get more and more confident, just now have to learn linux hehehe ...
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Answers in red...may want to try search next time, I know that your SU question woulda definately been answered, much quicker answer.
  3. madspeed

madspeed Member

Ratings:
    +2
    sure way would be to open terminal emulator, type su, what happens? You should get a slight pause, then see a # sign...
  4. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I likely didnt search well enough.

Got my answer installing wi fi tethering, got the SU perms query.... works nice! :)

Guess I'll need to go get root explorer, would that be the astro for root? :)