Questions on Bionic Replacements

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Alrighty guys, got a small dilemma on my hands. My trusty Bionic took a spill onto my porch a couple of days ago and I ended up with a lovely crack (might actually be a scratch) running down one half of my screen from the left edge. Honestly it's not that noticeable unless the screen is off, but I'm a little erm...anal about the screen on my phones.

So, I'm curious as to what my options are since I do not have any insurance on the device. I've been hearing around a few of the forums that when people are getting them replaced through Verizon or Asurion, they often times end up with a different device. Generally a Razr, but on occasion, the Maxx variant. This of course being Moto's original Razr line. Is that likely if I go through their replacement options? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the Maxx variant, but the original Razr over my Bionic? No thank you. Given the sometimes day and a half I'm away from a charger, I always have a spare battery in my bag. I can't exactly use a standard Razr like I'd need to in those situations.

What do you think? I'd prefer not to go the "early upgrade" route since that would most likely mean losing my unlimited data and locking me into a longer contract. Perhaps there's a chance I could talk them into replacing it with a Razr M (given the price they are selling it for) if they no longer have replacement Bionics in stock?

Suggestions and thoughts are much appreciated.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
Do you have a screen protector on it? I'm guessing not since you think it may be a scratch. Sometimes the good protectors hide the scratches if they aren't too bad.....

OP
Tillmorn

Tillmorn

Reaction score
Nope. One reason I stuck with Moto was the build quality since I hate putting screen protectors and cases on my phones.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
Nope. One reason I stuck with Moto was the build quality since I hate putting screen protectors and cases on my phones.

I'm with you there. I don't use them and have had no issues but if it was a choice of that or replace with a RAZR I'd choose the protector. My quad scores are way better than my son's Maxx.

DROID BIONIC on 246, is it butter? Lord, be with Mrs Altspeed while in coma and provide a sense of peace and understanding to Pat.

droidvj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
If Verizon won't replace it or it costs too much, you can replace the touch screens and LCD panels on phones. I haven't had to do this on my Bionic but have replaced other phone screens. Google "Bionic replacement screens" and watch YouTube videos which show the breakdown process to see if this is something you want to undertake. Some are harder than others to do.

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Well, i might be wrong but i think you can keep your unlimited data when you upgrade. They let me, but that was over a year ago. I would just look at buying a certified bionic if you don't want to upgrade to, ohh say a GSIII. I wouldn't trust any bionics that aren't Verizon certified. They have enough issues as it is.

droidvj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Well, i might be wrong but i think you can keep your unlimited data when you upgrade. They let me, but that was over a year ago.

You're not allowed to keep your unlimited data if you want to buy a discounted phone and renew your contract. Verizon is trying to force everyone off unlimited data and onto the family share plan. People who were grandfathered into the unlimited data can choose one of the other old limited data plans rather than joining the family share plan, but you have to give up your unlimited data. The only way to keep the unlimited data plan would be to pay full price for a phone (or ebay).

livinginkaos

Reaction score
You're not allowed to keep your unlimited data if you want to buy a discounted phone and renew your contract. Verizon is trying to force everyone off unlimited data and onto the family share plan. People who were grandfathered into the unlimited data can choose one of the other old limited data plans rather than joining the family share plan, but you have to give up your unlimited data. The only way to keep the unlimited data plan would be to pay full price for a phone (or ebay).
it depends on your VZW store, they have the ability to override that. Some were sympathetic to the Bionic before ICS, not sure how they are now.

DROID BIONIC on 246, is it butter? Lord, be with Mrs Altspeed while in coma and provide a sense of peace and understanding to Pat.

droidvj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
it depends on your VZW store, they have the ability to override that. Some were sympathetic to the Bionic before ICS, not sure how they are now.

I sure hope I get one of those stores/sales people when the time comes. Not planning on upgrading anytime soon though, but really don't want to give up my unlimited data.