Questions on App buying; Default People/Calendar apps; Recomendation request

cjpalermo21

Reaction score
Hello all,

Apologies as I've not done a lot of research yet. I have an HTC Incredible, through Verizon - I've had it for about 2 months; but I've really only scratched the surface of what I know the device can do.

I was a die-hard Palm lover (until their newest devices stopped being Windows 7 compatible) - but I did love the desktop interfaces that Palm offered.

So, here are my questions...

Three questions on buying/installing apps
1. Is there any way to "try out" an app before being on the hook for it? There are a lot of apps that look GOOD, but until I can put them through the test, I won't know.

2. If I download an app, do I "own" the app? For example, like iTunes, if I switch devices, later, I still own the app. Or, is it keyed to the device?

3. I remember reading that you can install apps, etc. to the 8gb flash memory in the phone -- yet, I've not seen that in the manual (only the marketing materials ... hmmm...) any suggestions on how to do that?

Three questions on default People/Calendar apps
4. Is there ANY way to force the "People" app to sort by last name?

5. Is there ANY way to remove the standard "groups" in the People app? Family, Favorites, Friends, VIP (?)

6. For some reason, although I've set the calendar app to default to "Day" view, every time i start it up, it heads to month view.

Finally - the recommendations. As I said, I was a huge fan of the Palm interface - everything integrated -- calendar/contacts/tasks. I don't see the same thing available here. What I'd LOVE would be one app (although, three that work well together would be fine) that integrates all three functions. I'd like to be able to work within that app and have it update Google Calendar and Contacts (for synching purposes); but basically, I'd like to have a task; see it pop up for that day, and then, drag that task to the calendar for the time I'll work on it that day. Currently, it resides in it's own calendar, above the timeslots on Google Calendar.

Thanks so much! I know I have a lot of reading/researching to do - these were just the first, easy, starter questions :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. the only way to "try out" an app is to download and use it. it's pretty easy to uninstall after all.

2. the apps are tied to your gmail account. if you get another unit and log in with your gmail, you'll be able to redownload them through your market without having to find them one by one.

3. you can install apps to the SD if you wish, but I have yet to do this myself. I don't keep too much stuff on my phone and the apps aren't too demanding of space so I haven't looked up the solution to this yet. Search around here I've seen it before.

4. Haven't bothered sorting by last name as it's easier for me to remember by first name, at least they're alphabetical in first name :)

5. Not that I know of, I just ignore that part.

6. No idea either.

I'm not sure how Palm works or how it did, but Google syncs pretty much all info to your gmail account. You can edit it on your PC and then you'll see it on your phone.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and help you with what I wasn't able to answer. Enjoy your phone and don't be afraid to ask around (just try using the search function first :))

OP
C

cjpalermo21

Reaction score
1. the only way to "try out" an app is to download and use it. it's pretty easy to uninstall after all.

2. the apps are tied to your gmail account. if you get another unit and log in with your gmail, you'll be able to redownload them through your market without having to find them one by one.

The first part is fine for free apps -- what if you're looking to buy an app (even $2, but some are more than that).

For example, if I want to find a calendar app that works for me, I might look at 20 different apps before finding the one that works the best -- I'd hate to pay $40 to decide on the one app.

I'm glad to hear that the apps are tied to my google account. That makes a lot more sense - I just wanted to make sure that was correct (again, with the Palm, I downloaded and installed apps on my own, so I still 'possessed' the apps).

Sum1udono

Reaction score
Go to menu/ settings/ applications/ manage applications..... pick your app and there is another screen that pops up with an option to move to SD card. I heard there are some apps you can't move, but I haven't found n e yet. FYI repeat those steps and you can return those apps to your phone.

Most apps have a "lite" version, which is a reduced quality free version, so you can check out its basic interface before you buy.
Other than that, a lot of apps have a refund option available if you opt for it in the limited amount of time they give you.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

riko540

Reaction score

The first part is fine for free apps -- what if you're looking to buy an app (even $2, but some are more than that).

For example, if I want to find a calendar app that works for me, I might look at 20 different apps before finding the one that works the best -- I'd hate to pay $40 to decide on the one app.

I'm glad to hear that the apps are tied to my google account. That makes a lot more sense - I just wanted to make sure that was correct (again, with the Palm, I downloaded and installed apps on my own, so I still 'possessed' the apps).

You do get a refund if you decide that you don't like it. Obviously there is a time limit for the refund its like 5 or 10 days.

The apps are linked to your google account so like mentioned above you can download they again without having to pay for them twice if you get a new device.

OlafTheOx

Reaction score
RE: moving apps to SD card - Widgets do not work if their app is installed on the card. Widgets and their apps must be installed to internal memory.

DInc with Incredibly Re-engineered 2.4

Sum1udono

Reaction score
RE: moving apps to SD card - Widgets do not work if their app is installed on the card. Widgets and their apps must be installed to internal memory.

They can still be moved via SD card though, right? You would have to reinstall them to the phone, but you can move them?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

-iD

Reaction score
You do get a refund if you decide that you don't like it. Obviously there is a time limit for the refund its like 5 or 10 days.

The apps are linked to your google account so like mentioned above you can download they again without having to pay for them twice if you get a new device.

The refund period is now 15 minutes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cutiedroid

Reaction score

DInc with Incredibly Re-engineered 2.4

This must be why I'm not particularly impressed with widgets. Most of my largest apps, those of 1MB or more are shifted to the SD card. Many of the <500Kb apps go there too. If there's a widget that does something it's my loss. But, since widgets look like common icons what, exactly, are they supposed to do?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums