Questions. I'm rooted but no custom ROM

otter34

Reaction score
Actually I am running axiom 2.4 right now, but am thinking about going to go back to being rooted w/out a custom ROM. One of the main reasons might be a silly one, but it's because when I've got the screen off and adjust the music volume the screen doesn't turn on w/ stock. I like that! I change the volume a ton and don't like having to always to press the button to turn it off.

1. I guess since I'm on this rant I might as well as if any of the ROM's have this feature?

2. Do many people root w/out installing a custom ROM? I didn't have a problem w/ the performance or anything, but I liked to be able to make backups and block ads which is the main reason I rooted.

3. What kernel would you suggest I use? Should I just use the stock?

4. Should I use setcpu or does the kernel take care things by itself like it did w/ Axiom?

5. Will I get prompted to install updates from google and if so if I accept them will it unroot me?

Reaction score
Im rooted with no custom rom. I wanna get comfortable with ics before moving on to another rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually I am running axiom 2.4 right now, but am thinking about going to go back to being rooted w/out a custom ROM. One of the main reasons might be a silly one, but it's because when I've got the screen off and adjust the music volume the screen doesn't turn on w/ stock. I like that! I change the volume a ton and don't like having to always to press the button to turn it off.

1. I guess since I'm on this rant I might as well as if any of the ROM's have this feature?

2. Do many people root w/out installing a custom ROM? I didn't have a problem w/ the performance or anything, but I liked to be able to make backups and block ads which is the main reason I rooted.

3. What kernel would you suggest I use? Should I just use the stock?

4. Should I use setcpu or does the kernel take care things by itself like it did w/ Axiom?

5. Will I get prompted to install updates from google and if so if I accept them will it unroot me?

1. I've installed a lot of roms but never looked for nor used that feature. I would imagine some of them do it if the stock system does it.

2. Plenty of people root and do not install a custom rom.

3. The stock kernel seems to do a fine job, but if you want to over clock or undervolt, then just read the threads for each kernel dev and see what the comments are like. If there are real issues with a kernel, just move on to the next one. One thing we do know is that each phone responds differently to things kike kernels and roms. For instance, some phones can be overclocked to 1.42 ghz and others can't go past 1.35 ghz. So try a few and see how your phone like them.

4. I do intsall Setcpu and use it to change clock speeds and sometimes to change voltages. I also try different governors on different roms just see how things run.

5. You will get updates when rooted. Some custom roms block this, but if running rooted/stock you will get updates. If you loose root, I would think it will be simple to re-root as the bootloader is not locked.

Good luck.

orion2001

Reaction score
I rooted the very first day I got the phone. However, I am holding off on flashing any ROMS. There is plenty of dev work being done and while there are some great ROMS, reading through the threads, it always seems like there are some bugs and issues, and typically the newer ROMs seem to sacrifice battery life a bit. I'm more than happy with sticking with stock 4.0.2, which has been flawless and stable for me.

I have however flashed a custom kernel (Jame Bond 1.35 GHz any kernel) to do a slight overclock on the GPU and to enable undervolting of the CPU via SetCPU. I am leaving the phone at 1.2 GHz as I don't really need the extra speed right now. The undervolting helped with battery life.

I've also moved away from custom launchers like NOVA (which is great!) because it seemed to drain my batteries a bit more. Today, my phone is at 80% battery after 16 hours of idling with 12 minutes of Screen time (Push enabled, connected to Wifi the whole time). I'm really happy with my battery performance at the moment, and Stock ICS plus apps and widgets is good enough for me at the moment.