Questions from a non phone tech person

ngt

Reaction score
Will I still be able to control my directv like with my s5?

Is this phone a "lot" better than a Note 5? Key factors?

What options will there be for hdmi out?

Is there a better "big ass phone" that runs Android that's better than the note 7? Better screen? Speed? Outputs?

Thanks! More to come :)

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

It should...there doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent it from doing so. DirectTV looks to just use an app...so as long as you are able to download the app, it should still work like your note 5.

Take a look here: Galaxy Note 7 vs Galaxy Note 5 first look: the difference a year makes I haven't seen much about the phone myself, but they have looked to do a thorough comparison. At first glance, bigger battery, eye sensors, USB-C instead of micro USB, and curved edges.

Is there a better "big ass phone" that runs Android that's better than the note 7? Better screen? Speed? Outputs?

I am pretty biased, but I don't think there are hardly any better big phones out there aside from the Note series. In my opinion, you are good where you're at! Let some others weigh in that have experience with other devices, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Samsung and the Note series.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

What options will there be for hdmi out?

Thanks! More to come :)

No you can not control your Direct TV. There is no IR Blaster. The Last IR Blaster was on the Note 4.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
It should...there doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent it from doing so. DirectTV looks to just use an app...so as long as you are able to download the app, it should still work like your note 5.

Take a look here: Galaxy Note 7 vs Galaxy Note 5 first look: the difference a year makes I haven't seen much about the phone myself, but they have looked to do a thorough comparison. At first glance, bigger battery, eye sensors, USB-C instead of micro USB, and curved edges.

I am pretty biased, but I don't think there are hardly any better big phones out there aside from the Note series. In my opinion, you are good where you're at! Let some others weigh in that have experience with other devices, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Samsung and the Note series.

So the infrared is still there for the remote?

Edit: so it's a no then :(

It really doesn't seem like it's that improved.

If the 5 is $1 and the note is what $299 or $399 with contract, I was just looking for a big jump. I'm coming from a galaxy s5, that recently got ran over by some cars. So, I'm at nothing now. I got a replacement battery for a Droid RAZR maxx to get me tout the 19th or whatever, but could get a 5 now for a buck.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
So the infrared is still there for the remote?

It really doesn't seem like it's that improved.

If the 5 is $1 and the note is what $299 or $399 with contract, I was just looking for a big jump. I'm coming from a galaxy s5, that recently got ran over by some cars. So, I'm at nothing now. I got a replacement battery for a Droid RAZR maxx to get me tout the 19th or whatever, but could get a 5 now for a buck.

That is definitely up to you. Just providing you some info and letting you choose for yourself! If you feel it isn't worth the upgrade, go ahead and grab a Note 5. Sounds like a great deal!

@Preach2k previously mentioned that there is no IR Blaster so...sorry for the confusion but yeah, it wouldn't work without that.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
That is definitely up to you. Just providing you some info and letting you choose for yourself! If you feel it isn't worth the upgrade, go ahead and grab a Note 5. Sounds like a great deal!

@Preach2k previously mentioned that there is no IR Blaster so...sorry for the confusion but yeah, it wouldn't work without that.

Do any of the big phones out now have the ir blaster?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Here's a good list. Top phones with IR blaster and remote control functionality (2015 edition) Although it looks as if newer phones are not adopting it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks! I was looking at the v10, as it's big and has the ir blaster, but ended up going with the note 7 black. Wanted the SD card but only had the watch as my option. Off to CL it goes and right to the bills goes the money, lol. Thanks for the help guys! I ended up making my choice based on the low light camera and processor speed, as well as upgradabilty. Hope I made the right choice. Always nice being able to change the channel at the bar, lol

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I found this interesting....

Samsung Galaxy Note7   Full phone specifications.png

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Yeah, I might be kicking myself for not getting a v10. Oh well. At least I can doodle with my little plastic pen, lol