Questions/Concerns about upgrading to 2.2

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by supahrob, Jun 13, 2010.

1. supahrob

supahrob New Member

I posted this in another forum as well - but I thought I would post it here in hopes of getting even MORE info. I hope thats OK :)

So I have been following the Froyo threads with a great deal of interest. I am currently running BB 1.1 and I really like it... but (you knew that was comin, right?) I am one of those guys who always likes to have the latest and greatest. With my computers, I am always tweaking and trying out new things - and I understand that my machine might not always run perfectly as a result. With my phone, it HAS to work right... but I still like to tweak and flash and whatnot. So I have to be careful.
    I desperately want to use Pete's Froyo - I am ready to flash RIGHT NOW... but I have some concerns that I hope to get addressed first. As I said, I have been following the Froyo thread, and have seen most questions dealt with quite well. But some seem to have fallen through the cracks, or didn't get dealt with very thoroughly. So I thought I would post my concerns here (which are based on the issues I saw brought up), and hope that some of you fine folks would be willing to help me out, and give me the "cyber/techno hug" I seem to need lol!

OK, first and foremost - the single most important issue to me (other than the phone just plain working at all). Battery life. On BB 1.1, the battery life is great! I am very happy with it. How is the battery life on Froyo? I am not in a situation where I can charge my phone during the day, so it has to last - but I still want to be able to use it. With 1.1, this is no problem, the battery lasts just fine. I saw that someone mentioned bad battery life, but suspected it might be because he flashed without wiping. In general, I would like to read a experiences from a few different people regarding this issue.

Kernels - is the stock one good? I THINK I am using the stock one from 1.1 (I don't remember). I like to OC to 1ghz, and my phone is rock solid and runs pretty cool (about 88 - 94f). What other kernels are there and how good are they? Stability is important, very important.

Boot loops - I have been reading a few cases of boot loops. How common are these REALLY? And if it happens, how serious are they? Is it hard to get it to stop?

Maps - I use this feature almost everyday. I have read some people say it's gone when they flash. Is this ALWAYS the case? I have been following one guy through the thread who seemed to have nearly endless problems getting maps to install. Is this an anomaly? If it is gone, does Pete's fix usually work?

Google Backup - I am intrigued by this! How does it work? I mean, will it "just happen" or do I have to initiate it to cause it to redownload my apps and such?

Wipe - do I HAVE to wipe, or can I just upgrade from 1.1?

Flash - does it normally "just work" and a few people have problems, or does EVERYONE need to do certain things to get it to work correctly?
    Wifi - does it work? I mean, I know it works, but does it... what I mean is, I read some people commenting that the performance over wifi was very slow in Froyo. Is this true?

Random Reboots - I got my droid on Jan 1, 2010 - I started flashing new roms almost immediately. I have not had a single random reboot. But I think I have seen more reports of random reboots on this ROM than any others. Is my perception correct? Are random reboots more likely on this ROM for some reason? Is there a common cause for them in this case?
    Heat - this is actually another big one for me, as I know excessive and/or prolonged heat can drastically shorten the life of the phone. I use SetCPU to help control heat currently. Is Froyo hotter than 1.1? If so, is it significant?

And I just saw this messaging issue that someone posted on the Froyo thread... it's the only one I saw reported, but I thought I would ask about it, since I send many, many, MANY text messages each day (mostly to my wife lol). Here is the "heart" of the issue: "Anytime I go into messaging I get an error 'Message not sent: Select to review the message and try again.' My messages are going through though, and when I click on it I only get a blank message."

Anyway, those are my concerns (at least so far). Yes, I know most of these have been addressed - but like I said, I think some of them needed more attention - at least to MY mind, before I flashed. I think I know most of the answers, from common sense and reading the thread. I am just hoping for further clarification. Thank you for indulging and/or humoring me :)

Oh, and I just saw this here. Smooth Calendar doesn't work with 2.2? Is this true? I love Smooth Calendar, not really sure I could live without it. I hope this isn't true!

Take care,
    Rob
  2. thewoody

thewoody New Member

OK, first and foremost - the single most important issue to me (other than the phone just plain working at all). Battery life.

Works great for me, 40% with moderate use after 16 hours today.

Kernels - is the stock one good? I THINK I am using the stock one from 1.1 (I don't remember). I like to OC to 1ghz, and my phone is rock solid and runs pretty cool (about 88 - 94f). What other kernels are there and how good are they? Stability is important, very important.

Using P3 Droid's 1200 kernel and it's working well.

Boot loops - I have been reading a few cases of boot loops. How common are these REALLY? And if it happens, how serious are they? Is it hard to get it to stop?

No boot loops here. If it happens, restore your last good backup after wiping.

Maps - I use this feature almost everyday. I have read some people say it's gone when they flash. Is this ALWAYS the case? I have been following one guy through the thread who seemed to have nearly endless problems getting maps to install. Is this an anomaly? If it is gone, does Pete's fix usually work?

Maps works fine on mine.

Google Backup - I am intrigued by this! How does it work? I mean, will it "just happen" or do I have to initiate it to cause it to redownload my apps and such?

Apps downloaded from market magically reappear after 20 minutes or so of booting for the first time.

Wipe - do I HAVE to wipe, or can I just upgrade from 1.1?

Wipe

Flash - does it normally "just work" and a few people have problems, or does EVERYONE need to do certain things to get it to work correctly?
    Wifi - does it work? I mean, I know it works, but does it... what I mean is, I read some people commenting that the performance over wifi was very slow in Froyo. Is this true?

No problems other than it seems sluggish with some flash apps.

Random Reboots - I got my droid on Jan 1, 2010 - I started flashing new roms almost immediately. I have not had a single random reboot. But I think I have seen more reports of random reboots on this ROM than any others. Is my perception correct? Are random reboots more likely on this ROM for some reason? Is there a common cause for them in this case?
    Heat - this is actually another big one for me, as I know excessive and/or prolonged heat can drastically shorten the life of the phone. I use SetCPU to help control heat currently. Is Froyo hotter than 1.1? If so, is it significant?

Not hotter for me, about 90-100 F for me.
  3. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 New Member

I did not run the stock kernel that Pete provided with Froyo for more than an hour or so, upgraded immediately to P3Droids 1ghz, no real issues except I could not read CPU temp or see anything other than Android system processes when looking at running processes. I installed Chevy's 1ghz kernel and have been running that for the last couple of days. Runs slightly cooler, battery life has been 40-50% better and I can see 3rd party processes now when looking at battery life, still no CPU temp. I use SetCPU to set max/min CPU speeds at boot.

Have not had this issue with BB Froyo. I have had it in the past, usually a battery pull does the trick, next step is a wipe of data and cache.

Zero issues with maps for me. Had an issue with the stock Froyo that came out a couple of days before BB Froyo. Stock could not download the latest release of maps from the market, not an issue with BB

You don't have to do a thing. You may want to consider Titanium before upgrading. While Google backup is great at restoring all your market apps, it does not restore your app settings, for that I use Titanium.

Wipe from 1.1

No issues with Flash for me. I installed it using Root Explorer.

No reboots for me running at 1ghz. No heat issues.

No messaging issues for me, but I use Handcent.

:)

I don't use Smooth Calendar, so no input from me on this one.