questions and problems with the Padfone X

bsheets84

Reaction score
I just got it recently, and I have to say while i like the phone, i am a bit disappointed in two areas.

1. It seems i need to use the ac adapter ONLY to charge the tablet portion. Plugging the USB cord into a computer, or another (i've tried 2) AC adapter do not charge the tablet dock.

2. When plugging the phone directly into my computer (windows 7), I can see the ASUS USB Driver drive that appears. but nothing else. This is my third Android phone so i figured, you know, plug it in, the phone and the sd card show up! This is quite odd. the INFs don't right click install, and there is absolutely ZERO documentation online, on the drive, or in the packaging about transferring files to and from your computer via USB. Is special software needed, or is there a specific way i need to install the drivers so my computer will recognize this alien technology? :)

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

ASUS uses a 15v DC charger. Other devices typically use a 5v DC charger. So the bad news is that other chargers will work but only if your phone is off and even then it's s trickle charge. The good news is that the ASUS charger charges really fast.

As for the storage issue, that type of problem pops up a lot. Sometimes it's because other devices have been installed that end up confusing the computer. You could try a totally different USB/HUB. You may get somewhere by going to device manager and clicking on view - hidden devices and delete some of the USB devices that no longer are needed. This assume that when you plug it in you are not getting a prompt in the notification area asking you to change modes, like to PTP. It's possible those tips won't work in which case if you want to transfer files you may need to do it over WiFi. I have suggestions you'll find in a link in my signature.

OP
B

bsheets84

Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to get the drivers somwhow (mostly thx to windows 7 i think) and now my phone shows on my computer.

Roger Ridgeway

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Asus Padfone X
Welcome to the forum

ASUS uses a 15v DC charger. Other devices typically use a 5v DC charger. So the bad news is that other chargers will work but only if your phone is off and even then it's s trickle charge. The good news is that the ASUS charger charges really fast...

Thanks. Thats really good to know.

Shaggysan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Padfone X
Had mine for 5 weeks before it gave me the first issue. This is my first droid phone and so far I'm loving it over my previous 2 iPhones. At the 5 week point my phone suddenly went black and shut off. The battery was over 95% charged. No matter what I tried it would not come back on. I put it on the charger for 30 min then I was able to get the phone to boot. Once it booted up I noticed I had no cell signal. I waited a few minutes and still no signal. I rebooted the phone again, no signal. Let it sit for a hour still nothing. Checked the airplane mode it was off.....this phone just wouldn't get on the network.

I did a factory reset of the phone thinking maybe it was an app or setting that got messed up, still nothing. Took it to the att store they tried the same things and even swapped out my sims thinking it was the issue, nope. After 2 locations checking it out and the first one ,non corporate, not being really helpful I ended up at the device warranty office.

While I was waiting for my phone to be checked there was one person ahead of me on her second padfone for the same exact issue. Since this phone was so new they had no phones in stock to swap so they expedited a new(refurb) phone. On my way out I ran into another person coming in with the same phone and same issue. Not good in my book. Never once had an issue out my iPhones in the 6 years I've been using them.

So I'm out of my 30 return period they refused to budge on it. Now I have a refurb and two and a half weeks later I'm starting to have issues again with my new(refurb) phone. So far today it has gone black on me once while using it in the tablet, and once while just sitting. I had just received a text the second time it went black. The only way I can get it to come back on is to plug it in and wait 30 min. Luckily the cell network comes back this time but I'm just 2 months into my warranty and my second phone is acting up, I don't see this phone making it 18 months till I can get something else. I'm highly disappointed in a this asus product. I love the phone and tablet station design and have been waiting what seems like years for this to come to the us market. My first droid has let me down.