Questions and concerns

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
Ok so i got my droid a week ago my gf was ready for her upgrade and she let me take her upgrade so i got the droid at a verizon premium retailer. Now i wasnt paying much attention when he got the phone or what he did but as far as i know when i got the phone it didnt have a screen protector on the front or back and the box that he gave me with it look like it was used. I dont think the charger or anything was wrapped up. I am wondering if i got a used droid. When he got the phone for me i didnt see what he did to get it. I had him put my contacts and everything on it but before he did that he let me play with it for a bit and there was no screen protector on it and eveything like the date and time was set up so i think i got a used droid. I have a couple of issues with the phone as well First off everytime i plugg a different charger into my droid the screen goes haywire the touch screen is unresposive and it loads up random apps all by its self. A second problem i have is my email I tried setting up my yahoo account on my droid i changed all the imap and stmp settings and i can get it to work but it wont notify me of any new emails coming the only way i can tell if i got any new emails is if i clcik on the emial icon and see what i get but i dont get any notifications. And laslty it seems like the four main keys(back,menu,home,search) the back light to these keys seem to shut off random sometimes it goes off and on whenever it wants to. Im just wondering if these three problems are normal or are they defects in my phone. I also want to know what you guys think if i got a new droid or not

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
Defiantly not normal behavior, I have never seen any behavior like that. I am very suspicious that it is somewhat possible you got a used droid, I remember reading about some way to find out when it was manufactured, but I couldn't tell you how anymore.

ShowTime

Reaction score
The fact that it didn't have a screen protector on it doesn't mean its used, it doesn't come with one normally. Also, I don't think the charger enclosed with mine was wrapped up or packaged but I don't remember for sure. As for no email notifications, silly but worth asking, do you have email notifications turned on? The general notification setting in sound and display doesn't apply to email. They have their own setting you have to turn on from within the email app (open email, hit menu, account settings, and make sure notifications are on). The four soft keys at the bottom, along with the slideout keyboard will periodically dim, brighten, turn off if you have your screen brightness set to auto, as they try and adjust to changing light levels. Should do it less if you turn brightness off auto. And finally, you said "when you plug other chargers in"... what other charger are you using? Does it do the same thing with the charger that came with it?

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
I tried the env charger and it went haywire when i plugged it in but the storm car charger works fine and everything. and as far as the backlight on the keys randomly going off is that normal do you thing these are defects in my phone?

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
so i got my yahoo email to work i sent one to myself and i got the notification at the top i had k9 email and that worked but i wanted to see if they regalr email worked and you were right i guess my notification wasnt on ar something but as far the charger and he backlight are those defects in my phone

JCo352

Reaction score
Ok so i got my droid a week ago my gf was ready for her upgrade and she let me take her upgrade so i got the droid at a verizon premium retailer. Now i wasnt paying much attention when he got the phone or what he did but as far as i know when i got the phone it didnt have a screen protector on the front or back and the box that he gave me with it look like it was used. I dont think the charger or anything was wrapped up. I am wondering if i got a used droid. When he got the phone for me i didnt see what he did to get it. I had him put my contacts and everything on it but before he did that he let me play with it for a bit and there was no screen protector on it and eveything like the date and time was set up so i think i got a used droid. I have a couple of issues with the phone as well First off everytime i plugg a different charger into my droid the screen goes haywire the touch screen is unresposive and it loads up random apps all by its self. A second problem i have is my email I tried setting up my yahoo account on my droid i changed all the imap and stmp settings and i can get it to work but it wont notify me of any new emails coming the only way i can tell if i got any new emails is if i clcik on the emial icon and see what i get but i dont get any notifications. And laslty it seems like the four main keys(back,menu,home,search) the back light to these keys seem to shut off random sometimes it goes off and on whenever it wants to. Im just wondering if these three problems are normal or are they defects in my phone. I also want to know what you guys think if i got a new droid or not

My droid didn't come with an actual screen protector, but it did come with plastic over the screen with white writing on it telling you what the buttons were for. For some reason I have heard of Droids having problems with Yahoo, my charger and everything came in plastic bags, I have heard of the droid freaking out with other chargers, the date and time would be set automatically. all in all i would say you got a used one

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
Really y do you say that? well i called verizon twice and had them check the esn number and see if it was activated on another line the one person said she didnt see anything and the other person said i cant check the esn but she said she can check to see if its new or not and she said that its new im just wondering if her word is legit. Im just uncertain if shes right or not cause it didnt come with any screen protector on it or anything mayb the guy took it off i didnt pay much attention i should have but im not sure if it did or not. I dont know if i should return it or not? I have a couple of problems with it like i said with the whole charger thing and the backlight randomly shutting off and on on the 4 keys. I think i got the yahoo email to work but im justy wondering what i should do im very confused

Wolfee57

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but have been following for several months along with some others. I have also been with VZW (Bell Atlantic)for 20+ years. I never got a new phone from them without plastic over the screen, or charger wraped up. Recieved my new Droid a couple weeks ago by carrier, the USB and charger were wraped. The phone was covered too. As for the settings, download the full manual, check here Droidfourms and Android Central for the real-real on how to set up your Droid. The supplied manuel is a joke. From a BB.....this thing is the bomb! Enjoy your Droid!

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
Ok but what i said with the concerns im having with the phone is that normal or are they defects? Also wat do u guys think do u think its new or used

ShowTime

Reaction score
Really y do you say that? well i called verizon twice and had them check the esn number and see if it was activated on another line the one person said she didnt see anything and the other person said i cant check the esn but she said she can check to see if its new or not and she said that its new im just wondering if her word is legit. Im just uncertain if shes right or not cause it didnt come with any screen protector on it or anything mayb the guy took it off i didnt pay much attention i should have but im not sure if it did or not. I dont know if i should return it or not? I have a couple of problems with it like i said with the whole charger thing and the backlight randomly shutting off and on on the 4 keys. I think i got the yahoo email to work but im justy wondering what i should do im very confused

First thing the guy at the VZW store did with mine was take the factory shipped "screen protector" off so he could set up my phone. It isn't a real screen protector. He probably took it off to set your phone up and you didn't notice. As for the backlights, as I said, yes it is a known feature (issue?) that the 4 soft keys and slide out keyboard have a habit of brightening, dimming, etc on their own (take your display brightness OFF auto and that should help) and at inopportune times. It is also a known issue that many Droids behave erratically with some non Droid chargers... just use the supplied one and if you need others, buy ones that are known to work.
None of this points me to the idea that you got a used Droid. BUT, even if you did, if Verizon is telling you it's new, they aren't going to give you another new one just because you say this current one is used. And if you return it because of hardware malfunctions, I can almost guarantee that you would be getting a refurbished one as replacement. So if you aren't having any significant, real issues, just go with it and try and be happy.

OP
T

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
Oh ok but what about the 30 day trial can i return it for a brand new one? I love this phone its just those three issues im having with it idk if its normal or not or if my phone has bugs or defects in it