1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Questions about Sholes updater

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by titans, Feb 4, 2010.

1. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

So I have been reading good things about the sholes updater from the market but I have some questions before buying. Thanks for your help.
    -Does this app have everything needed for rooting, and will it do the entire rooting process for me? If not, what will it do?
    -Will this affect my ability to buy/run market apps?
    -what is the likelihood this will ruin/brick my phone?
    -Will I get the official 2.1 ota when it is released when rooted?
    -does this app unroot for me as well?
    Thanks much.
  2. FlipBack

FlipBack New Member

Yes, it downloads everything and walks you through the entire process. It's a piece of cake.

No, it actually improves this because you have more options now(root only apps).

You will get no official OTA updates. Your phone will however update when the Sholes team releases new custom ROMS.

Yes, it can.
  3. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

-Yes
    -No
    -None
    -Yes, but you won't be able to install it (ensures against accidental installs) there are two options for this a) Wait for us to release a full 2.1 ROM, or b) use the updater to go back to stock if you want the 2.1 OTA update.
    -Yes
  4. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Yeah what he said :)
  5. titans

Thank you very much for your replies. Now that it seems that it has a zero chance of bricking my phone, seems like its worth a shot, 5 bucks isnt too much
  6. titans

Sorry, one more question. Does this come with the smoked glass rom, and if it doesn't, how would I go about installing it once i root with sholes? thanks
  7. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Smoked glass is a theme option when you install the ROM. If you want to install anything other than a sholes ROM you will have to do it the old fashioned way.
  8. titans

Sorry maybe im being a little paranoid. I'm about to buy the sholes updater. So just to confirm, I do not need to download or get ANYTHING besides the sholes updater to fully root, and it will not brick my phone, correct? thanks
  9. billyidle

billyidle New Member

Honestly, if you can't do the minor amount of research to answer those questions, and you are so nervous about it, you really aren't ready to dive in. Spend some time reading up on the details BEFORE you consider doing it.