Questions about Safestrap and D3bootstrap

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Ok, I know there are a few threads about Safestrap, D3bootstrap, and Hashcode's tweaked D3bootstrap, but they don't necessarily answer my questions like I want. I have recently rooted my Droid 3 and more recently used TBH's radio hack, but have til yet to install a custom recovery and I need to. I've gathered that Safestrap would be primarily for a flashaholic and D3bootstrap is primarily for your everyday root user. I do not plan on flashing a custom ROM to my D3. If I do, my D3 will have to be on its last legs. My question is: for someone who doesn't plan on flashing ROMs and will only be doing backups of my system and apps, which recovery would be better for my uses? I have not removed (renamed) any of the bloatware at all. I would like to be able to update via OTA if there ever will be one, i.e. major bug fixes/patches or ICS. Any and all (polite and truly useful) answers are appreciated and welcome. Thank you in advance for your help. :)
:icon_ banana::icon_ lala::icon_ banana::icon_ lala::icon_ banana:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You do understand that most update OTA will break root and possibly not be able to reroot for an undisclosed time?

This is the reason most run ROMs as they 'generally' don't prompt for the updates.

To answer your question, Safestrap is better all around IMO, because you can run it non-safe forever, or you can run it Safe and flash to your hearts content. It still makes the same backups AND safestrap prompts on boot without having to press any key combinations. It's just better. IMO of course.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
You do understand that most update OTA will break root and possibly not be able to reroot for an undisclosed time?

This is the reason most run ROMs as they 'generally' don't prompt for the updates.

To answer your question, Safestrap is better all around IMO, because you can run it non-safe forever, or you can run it Safe and flash to your hearts content. It still makes the same backups AND safestrap prompts on boot without having to press any key combinations. It's just better. IMO of course.

Yes, I do understand that an OTA will do that. Which means the ONLY reason I would willingly update via OTA is if/when ICS comes to the Droid 3. I would be able to live without root if that's the case, until a way around it is found. If not, no biggie. Thank you for your snappy response, guidot. :) I appreciate it. I guess I'll go ahead and flash Safestrap since I already have the apk downloaded. I have read all 3 of your guides regarding Safestrap and bootstrap so if I have problems, I'm subscribed to them all. :) Thank you again.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not a problem! If you have trouble don't hesitate to post in one of them!

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I have another quick question. When using ROM Manager and Safestrap, is it possible to flash CWM onto Safestrap if needed, or would I have to upgrade Safestrap, or does it really matter as long as A CWM is installed?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Safestrap is your recovery. It is modified CWM. RM and Safestrap are not compatible.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Safestrap is your recovery. It is modified CWM. RM and Safestrap are not compatible.

I guess that should have been obvious, huh? My bad. I was just thinking about how RM only allows browsing inside of it when CWM is installed... Maybe I should have called upon my common sense. :p

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha, not a problem. Glad you are reading up before doing anything! ;)

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Yeah, I actually try my best at researching things before I try to attempt them or have to ask for advice. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. :p

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid