Questions about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by harrisonkk, Feb 4, 2010.

1. harrisonkk

harrisonkk New Member

I know this has probably been posted a million times but I've been looking around and haven't found an answer to a lot of them.

EDIT: Deleted some of the questions I figured out on my own.

1) I don't have the warranty on my phone, so do I really lose anything by rooting if I don't have a warranty to break?

2) Will the SholesMod Updater be taken out of the marketplace since Google seems to be so against rooting?

3) Is there a website where I can get all these custom themes, WiFi tether, custom keyboards and everything that everyone is talking about after I root the phone

4) Is it possible that some apps might not work with a rooted phone because you're change the operating system?

5) When will SholesMod Updater be free? I don't have a credit card and it said a day or two but that was... two days ago haha.
  2. harrisonkk

harrisonkk New Member

bump bump bump
  3. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

1. Even if you did have one you could always try taking the phone is anyways (ive heard of people on here that took theirs in with root and it was fine). So basically no you wont lose out on anything.

2. I dont think anyone could accurately answer this one. But my guess is that since there are a TON of other apps that require root that are still on there it shouldnt be a big deal.

3. Look at the sticky on this forum named: Droid Rom links (or something like that)

4. No apps will be affected by having root.

5. I dont think that the updater on the market will be free. What they give you free is a link to download the update and install yourself.
  4. Enter

Enter New Member

To go a little more in dept at 2: Taking it out would be pointless as all you would have to do is download the apk from this or another website, drag it to your phone and use Astro or E Strongs file manager to install the apk.
  5. korp

korp New Member

1. No, you just run the risk of bricking the phone like everybody but when you follow the directions its pretty unlikely. I guess you have to really try to mess it up.

2. Not sure but if it is they could just release the apk and we could download it that way. Also if you buy it you won't lose it I believe.

3. Go to the roms section right next to the hack section in this forum. The roms contain those things ... most popular seem to be Bugless Beast and Smoked Glass.

4. By just being rooted, no. If you are running a custom rom then sometimes they cause force closes haven't really heard of apps not working though ... rooting it will just give you SU permissions and only takes a few steps not long ones like installing a rom.

5. My guess is soon but if you really don't want to wait
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/20687-complete-how.html
    or
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html

The first link seems a little more complicated and I followed the second link. The second took about 30min or so and is very simple to install sholes.