questions about rooting

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by MysticalDreams, Feb 17, 2012.

1. MysticalDreams

IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
    Ratings:
    +24
    I rooted my X so I could have the wifi available which I don't really need anymore. I am going to be getting a MAXX in the next few days and I am debating if I do want to root it.
    I feel like a noob because other than the wifi I don't remember the advantages/disadvantages to rooting and not rooting. I looked thru threads and nothing really jumped out at me as advantages or disadvantages. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Honestly freezing bloat and backing up apps will be my only need.

Stock razr rocks..

----posted maxx'ed out----

3. eidian

eidian Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Rooting will allow you to flash ROMs if you desire. Just make sure that you read all instructions carefully.

Rooting also allows you to use Titanium backup and some of the better screen capture apps.

It doesn't seem like you're interested in gaining access to system files so I won't go into file managers or database apps.

Rooting isn't that important on this phone because it's so powerful. And with ICS coming out in the foreseeable future, flashing a ROM is almost not worth doing because of all of the crap that you have go through to get back to stock just to update.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

#3 eidian, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. SANhacker

SANhacker Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I know where you are coming from.
    I rooted my OG Droid and used so many ROMs and Kernels it made my head spin.
    Now I have this incredible RAZR, which is working flawlessly, and for some Neanderthal reason, I am considering rooting again.
    On the OG I had countless WiFI issues when rooted. Now I have Smart Actions which flawlessly know my WIFI location and set my actions accordingly. i.e. turn off cellular and reduce volume to 30% when in the range of the bar WIFI and turn volume to 100% when within my home WIFI.

The fortunate thing is Matt's utility which allows me to go back to stock in the event this happens on the RAZR. Decisions, Decisions ??????

5. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Ratings:
    +139
    There's really no reason to freeze bloat. It's not like it's draining your device. Just long press it and select Hide. I've got 21 things hidden. If you are not happy with the stock screen you can always install a launcher. I've got the reason to root links in my siggy below. Just click on them. Also, with FoxFi in the market place, there's no reason to root for WiFi hotspot either.

I root so that I can do screen captures and just to mess around with the phone, but currently I haven't re-rooted after resetting my phone this past week.

6. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I like freezing / renaming the vz bloat just to make sure that I don't ever accidentally get subscribed to 1 of Verizon $10 a month apps. Battery and memory is no issue on here.

I love the "hidden app" drawer..

----posted maxx'ed out----

7. MysticalDreams

IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the replies... I really hated asking because I know everyone asks the same thing in different ways I just couldn't find anything. I want my phone NOW... I feel like Veruca Salt: I want an Oompa Loompa now!

I have decided to wait a week or 2 and then decide if I want to root it.