1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Questions about Rooting after 2.2 update

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TopDroid, Aug 2, 2010.

1. TopDroid

TopDroid New Member

:motdroidhoriz: Hey guys, Im new here but I have a question about rooting AFTER the update. I know the new Froyo update is due this week, hopefully tomorrow, but will I be able to Root after the 2.2 update? Or maybe a better question is...How long do you think it will be until someone figures it out? Ive been thinking about rooting for a while but never grew big enough balls to do it. After reading that the new update wont allow wifi tether or hotspot on the moto droid, Im tempted to go ahead and root it to be able to do so but Im kinda wanting to wait to see how my phone will run/look after the update. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!!

Motorola Droid stock 2.1
  2. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Not sure what exactly you're hoping to accomplish here.. You mean how long will it take for a root method to be released for 2.2? Probably not too long, but why wait? If you root today, you can flash a new rom that already has 2.2 and not have to wait for a way to root 2.2.. There really is no point in waiting. Just root at 2.1, then flash a new 2.2 rom.
  3. grumpy

grumpy New Member

I just rooted this weekend. Been wanting to do it since I read about it but was afraid of bricking my phone. It is not as tough as it sounds. So like Nike says.... Just do it :)
  4. christim

christim Super Moderator

Rooting it already is figured out for the life of the Droid 1. As long as the bootloader doesn't get locked down somehow, you're good to go.

You can use RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery and then apply pretty much whatever rom you want to.

Always make a backup before flashing a rom/theme/kernel. It is simple to do and a good practice to get into.