Questions About Root

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I apologize for crossing questions on the thread. The only recent update I recieved is the Google Play Store.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No need to apologize, I knew because I was involved in both but others will likely not. Just thought I would help them and you out by throwing in the link. And I meant OS updates, I have not read about one for the D2 yet so I was just checking in case.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
The root tutorial I am following says to make sure usb debugging icon is displaying in notifications. I am not totally sure what this icon looks like because nothing changes when I turn debugging on or off. Help?

lowvolt

Reaction score
Just make sure its on. Don't worry about the icon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Alright, just trying to figure out why it won't root, my next step is using a different computer, if that doesn't work then I believe my D2 may not be rootable.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
When I run the rooting program it says transferring superuser.apk and after that it says 0 bytes transferred. Why isn't it allowing the data to transfer?

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Can anyone post a link or tutorial on how to manually root the Droid 2, I can't seem to find anything about it.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Update: I actually just followed a tutorial to flash my D2 back to Froyo 2.2 and used z4root from there. Worked quick and perfectly!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Root finally!! Nice!! :cool-b:

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Yes finally! I am exploring what can be done now that I have root. I have currently flashed CWM Recovery and made a custom boot image and boot animation. Any ideas on stuff to tweak, apps, roms?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Well it depends on what you want to do. You could always just freeze the stuff you need, which is one of the main reasons people root. Or you could go as big as flashing custom ROMs, which for the D2 can be a bit complicated.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
Well at this point I believe I'm gonna stick with what I'm running now, but I like to make cosmetic changes. Just give it character ya know. I froze and deleted most of the bloat apps, what I thought was safe anyways.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Sounds good. And I see you made a back up so hopefully you did it before you deleted anything. It's always good to have a bone stock back up in case you delete something you later find you needed. Frozen stuff is good because then you just unfreeze it.