Questions about Root / ROMS - Android in general

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wildrage, Mar 19, 2010.

1. wildrage

wildrage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I understand how to root the Droid and have done it in the past. I come from Windows Mobile and have experience installing custom ROMS in that realm.

I have some more theoretical / technical questions about the rooting and custom ROM process, because I'd like to know exactly what I'm doing (I hate just blindly doing something)...so if someone can answer them, I'd appreciate it. I haven't really found the 'why's' when doing searches on this, or other forums.

1. Root: I know what Root is from using Linux...it's the equivilent of Admin access on a Windows machine, but when you install the update to root, what exactly is that doing? What files are being installed/replaced?

2. Recovery Image: What exactly is this? Is this like the base vanilla android system?

3. Custom ROMS / additional update.zip's: So after you install the recovery image, you can install custom roms via the recovery screen. How are the custom ROMs different then the recovery image? Are they complete system files, or do they just augment what was installed in the recovery image?

4. Getting back to stock: Is there away to get completely back to stock? I know that you can reinstall the recovery image and wipe, but does that get things EXACTLY back to where it was when it was shipped from the factory?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just wanted to have a better understanding of what I was doing when I was installing things on my phone.

Search tags for this page

rootroms