Questions about droid x rooting

Aiwa

Reaction score
I just used z4root to root my droid x for the first time. I saw in some instructions on how to root that after we root it with z4 its good to download bootstrap in order to do a backup in case I need one. However since it is my first time trying out rooting I was wondering if there is any free alternatives to that because I don't want to spend any money just yet. So I've had it rooted for about 3 days without any backup and saw no difference in my phone. What can I do now that I am rooted? I downloaded this app for screenshots that are only supposed to work if im rooted but it is not working here yet. Should I unroot my phone until I have a paid backup system? What about the backup that comes installed in the phone? It wouldn't work?

Sorry I have so many questions but I am new on rooting.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Zayy

Reaction score
You have to buy bootstrapper from the market. Its well worth it. I was I the same position as you a week ago, but now im doing all kinds of awesome things with my phone. Just using z4 isn't really going to do anything to your phone. Look up droidxrom on youtube. He helped me alot!

Zayy

Reaction score
Sorry, its XDroidRom. On youtube.

OP
A

Aiwa

Reaction score
Thanks for great information guys. I will research some more before I buy bootstrap. I have only one more question, am I going to have to buy anything else besides bootstrap in order to have running themes, roms and be able to delete annoying apps from Verizon or will I need to purchase another app in order to do any of those tasks?

Zayy

Reaction score
That's called bloatware. He had a video explaining all that. Don't delete anything until after you watch that. No prob man!! Just looking out.

Been runnin this shiiiiii!!!!!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Thanks for great information guys. I will research some more before I buy bootstrap. I have only one more question, am I going to have to buy anything else besides bootstrap in order to have running themes, roms and be able to delete annoying apps from Verizon or will I need to purchase another app in order to do any of those tasks?

You can do some of what you want without Koushs Bootstrapper, but you would be a lot better off in the end if you just spent the lousy $2...seriously.

As far as paying for other apps so that you can MOD your phone with themes and ROMS...that is totally up to you. Titanium is great for backing up APP Settings and Saved Data, as well as for freezing Bloatware...and it costs. But, its is almost invaluable when you start deciding to flip back and forth on ROMS...your choice.

Some themers out there charge for their themes...if you want them, they are gonna cost..but it depends on just how much you want to set your phone apart from others. Personally, I gladly spent $1.50 so that I could guarantee my DX didnt look like the other 5 DX`s of my co-workers...

Hell, its not like you are going to be spending $100 on these few apps...maybe $10 at the most, and more than likely, not even $5...but well worth the investment for peace of mind down the road IMO...