questions about after updating baseband

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by krnboixshawn, Jul 29, 2010.

1. krnboixshawn

krnboixshawn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry guys if this has been posted and read all about baseband topic but didn't answer the question i had unless i missed it somewhere.

i've updated my baseband about 3 weeks ago to C_01.43.01P from "all in one baseband update by pete"

after i did the update, I reactivated my phone by pressing 1 after the lady is done talking and just used it from there. I didn't see any better reception than the stock one because i have another droid with the stock baseband to compare with. Sometimes i would have better reception and sometimes the stock would have better.

i just decided to read random topics and someone mentioned about after pressing 1 when then lady is done talking you have to press 2 to upgrade your roaming capabilities, but didn't really get into why or if its needed.

so i decided to just do it anyway by dialling *228 and than pressed 2, but said it failed and to call verizon for support.

is this something i should have done? is that why i wasn't getting better reception?

2. ChugIt

ChugIt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reboot, try *228 option 2 again. It happens to me sometimes when I do that. It's rare, and probably a glitch communicating with the tower and/or servers.

By the way: I run the stock baseband.

3. jbrill1012

jbrill1012 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't speak for the baseband as that's what I'm searching for while reading this. I can how ever speak for the *228 option 2 ... do keep in mind that when you do option 1 it includes or typically includes the updated version of option 2 which is the PRL or better known as the Preferred Roaming List. This can effect your reception and a lot of times may cause you to have lower reception in areas where you had good reception before. This is due to the fact of when companies change roaming agreements with other companies this is the file that says hey if our network is available and you have sufficient signal use it instead of this other network who we have to pay extra to use. This is not to say don't update your PRL as it could change your reception to make it worse. Verizon is very good about keeping customers in the most effective coverage as that's their pride in the network. The issue becomes prominent in areas on fringe network coverage where the phone wants to bounce between signals because one gets to weak of a signal to maintain connection to one network or the other (very rare for this to happen but it does).