1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question?

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by Mdroidx, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Mdroidx

Mdroidx New Member

Hello everyone im new to this whole anadroid stuff..my biggest concern is that why does "most" applications need to grant permission to certain things on our phone? I don't get it! I would appreciate it if someone could inform me please, thaanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. joshoid

joshoid New Member

Depends what the app does. I'm not saying that some apps seem to require extra info. Some apps require your location so GPS is necessary, contacts would be needed in a friends social app.

Swyped from my Elite Droid!
  3. Mdroidx

Mdroidx New Member

Should I be worry about those apps and the apps creater having certain access to my personal info??!

4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

In general, no, but it's always smart to pay attention. Reputable apps from reputable devs are usually always completely OK. If it seems questionable, it probably is.
  5. Mdroidx

Mdroidx New Member

@LtKen thankyou for the reply...but since im new to this whole apps and Droid stuff can you explain to me what "Reputable" are??

6. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Different people have different reputations, but I would describe reputable as any combination of the following:

1) Recommended by a popular blog or webpage (Lifehacker, Gizmodo, CNet Reviews)
    2) Recommended by users here, especially if they are Mods, have been around for a little while, or have many recommendations by users here
    3) Have corporate backing or other known sources of funding (a website can say a lot about a dev)
    4) Have many (1000+) high reviews on the market

If you have any concerns over any specific app, feel free to ask us.

Dont stress too much about malware, just dont download willy nilly.
  7. Mdroidx

Mdroidx New Member

Ok thankyou that's a very big help considering im a newbie! I will start looking out for all of the pervious recommendations that you explained to me..are you familiar with the app called "widgetsoid2.x" if so, is it a good app and trusted??