Question? Working with the framework-res.apk and apkmanager 4.8

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by skylordusa1, Nov 18, 2010.

1. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

Hey I have a question. I am currently using apkmanager 4.8. I am able to decompile the framework-res.apk. I make a few color code edits to colors.xml and drawables.xml. I save everything and compile it and sign it with no errors. I then add it back to the rom zip and install it. My phone always boot loops. But if I just decompile , recompile and sign then add it to the rom zip and install it boots up fine. Do you have to edit something else within the framework-res.apk if you make a change in one of the xmls?
  2. cush2push

cush2push Premium Member Premium Member Developer

2 questions what option are you using to sign 4 or 12

and are you using a updater script to update it or a full rom?
  3. c_hale22

c_hale22 Theme Developer Theme Developer

I'm having the same issues and I'm using option 12 and boot loop everytime, I'm editing the style.xml. this is really hindering my theming. Thanks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. cush2push

What in styles are you trying to edit and same question about the updater script if you're not using a script take mine and try that ( grab one of my themes and in the meta folder /google/android updaterscript or copy over the entire meta folder

my droid does the tapatalk thing
  5. c_hale22

I am editing menu text mainly and I may try button text sometimes but I am following "theBowers" instructions and after I compile it with apk manager and delete the resource file, I signed it and push it over but ill give your script a shot.
  6. cush2push

I would try making the edits recompile and toss the framework in the update folder and try that

7. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Signing isn't necessary for system apps from Google... and any reason why 4.9 isn't used?? just wondering since I keep seeing people use 4.8??
  8. cush2push

I use 4.8 over 4.9 due to it being a whole lot simpler in my opinion I tried both .9 and .8 and .8 has a straight forward user interface in my opinion
  9. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Yeah, I've heard 4.8 is more automated but that also doesn't help users to understand some of the process, 4.9 makes you take the steps and why... but I'm sure both gets the job done
  10. c_hale22

I have tried both and keep both on my pc but use 4.9 more often. I also have pushed framework over signed and unsigned but same boot loop, but like I said earlier im going to use the update method today.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  11. B-boy™

B-boy™ Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel Theme Developer Premium Member

This might not even apply to your issue but it's an issue I've come across just with a 3mb mm theme, I switched to cm6.1 for an easier framework-res to decompile and stuff and when I go to apply it, it gives me a mini bootloop.. like the the cm logo is only 1/4" tall... so I removed a couple system/apps and now it's fine.. exact same size theme... I doubt your problem is related tho....
  12. c_hale22

Yeah that is exactly what its doing, after I push the framework over and reboot, the CM logo is about a 1/4" and just sits there and never boots up. So are you saying you removed some system/apps while it is in this boot loop or before pushing back over you remove some system/apps and it boots up just fine. I still have this problem with other Roms but CM inparticular is exactly how you described.
  13. B-boy™

Yeah that is exactly what its doing, after I push the framework over and reboot, the CM logo is about a 1/4" and just sits there and never boots up. So are you saying you removed some system/apps while it is in this boot loop or before pushing back over you remove some system/apps and it boots up just fine. I still have this problem with other Roms but CM inparticular is exactly how you described.[/QUOTE]

I'm not good at explaining this but cm+gapps= not much room for themes... mine mainly did it when i added a new default wallpaper or a 1mb+ pulldown I make, but i uninstalled twitter and facebook from system (since they're in the market anyway) and rebooted... now I haven't gotten that mini bootloop since... so restore a back up, uninstall with titanium backup, reboot, then try to apply your theme...
  14. c_hale22

[/QUOTE]I'm not good at explaining this but cm+gapps= not much room for themes... mine mainly did it when i added a new default wallpaper or a 1mb+ pulldown I make, but i uninstalled twitter and facebook from system (since they're in the market anyway) and rebooted... now I haven't gotten that mini bootloop since... so restore a back up, uninstall with titanium backup, reboot, then try to apply your theme...[/QUOTE]

Ill let you know
  15. ecsnead69

ecsnead69 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

For framework, all you need to do is Options 9, make edits, 11, move unsigned.apk to "batch optimize" folder, 15, hit z to zipalign, and then rename, put it in an update.zip, and install....

And I hate 4.9, I use it when I have to but other than making you remember EVERYTHING you edited, I see no difference.... other than 4.8 always works....lol....:)
  16. c_hale22

I appreciate the instructions, as soon as I get a min Ill try again.
  17. c_hale22

wow, I have tried everything I think and I still get boot loops and it is driving me crazy. Something so simple like changing system text, well I guess its not that simple because I cant do it. Here I have ported an awesome theme (Linear awesome work bgill/skurtz) and I have black on black. I hate to even bring this up, but if anyone has a minute and wants to take my "framework-res.apk" and change the system text (menu text) to white I would appreciate it or better yet if you know what my problem is I would rather know what Im doing wrong.
  18. B-boy™

I followed kookadoo's tut for changing system font color and it worked great.. it's in his neverending theme or something... not sure if that will help ya. Another Idea is to compare UD and CM's xml's cause I think they're reversed.. cm has a white bg for the menu w/ black text and UD is opposite..
  19. glhelinski

glhelinski New Member

can you point me to kookadoo's tut? can't find kookadoo anything. thanks

20. B-boy™

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-fusion/83016-kooks-never-ending-theme-log.html here it is... it's just a couple color changes. TheBowers made some tuts as well.. hope it help... :)
Search tags for this page

editar framework-res no apkmanager