Question to former Bionic owners...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
My just go out and buy a Rezound off contract. I have about had it with Motorola and the Bionic. Getting knocked off the update path on a monthly basis, risky procedures due to bootloader, and no development amongst other things have driven me to madness! So my question to previous Bionic owners that now have the Rezound...

Is it better?
Have you had any data drops?
Is rooting and romming and un-rooting fairly simple?
Is their a future in development?
Does the thickness bother you?
Is the lagginess of Sense 3.5 easily bypassed by another launcher?
Battery life compared to Bionic?
Do you think HTC will be coming out with anything new of Verizon in the next couple months?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My just go out and buy a Rezound off contract. I have about had it with Motorola and the Bionic. Getting knocked off the update path on a monthly basis, risky procedures due to bootloader, and no development amongst other things have driven me to madness! So my question to previous Bionic owners that now have the Rezound...

Is it better?
Have you had any data drops?
Is rooting and romming and un-rooting fairly simple?
Is their a future in development?
Does the thickness bother you?
Is the lagginess of Sense 3.5 easily bypassed by another launcher?
Battery life compared to Bionic?
Do you think HTC will be coming out with anything new of Verizon in the next couple months?

Yes, I prefer the Rezound over the Bionic. Bionic just gave me too many issues and I don't know if any of the newest updates are better or not, but I am totally happy with the Rezound.

Any data drops I get are from VZW, not the phone, like the Bionic where a lot of data drops were the phone don't being able to authenticate back to the network.

Rooting and ROM'ing is smoooooth, with the unlocked bootloader.

Development will continue, there a lot of strong HTC devotees out there in dev land

Thickness does not bother me, why would it? I care more about the functionality of the phone and now how it looks, though, style is a plus

Battery life is a little less if not on par, the display uses more battery, but is sooo much better looking that i don't care lol

It might be a while before we see another HTC flagship phone, their next flagship phone will be quad core most likely and won't be here till spring/summer time (guessing here)

I love this Rezound, solid solid phone.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am thinking of picking one up new off contract maybe. I love HTC, had the Inc2 and development was good. I was thinking of getting Verizon the replace my Bionic with a Rezound but I don't want a used one.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am thinking of picking one up new off contract maybe. I love HTC, had the Inc2 and development was good. I was thinking of getting Verizon the replace my Bionic with a Rezound but I don't want a used one.

You really can't tell the difference with the CLNR's, they are pretty picky about what they send out, mine was a CLNR and have not had any issues and looks brand new, you just don't get the head phones, and they really aren't worth dropping full price on the phone.

I mean if you got the funds by all means, but save some money and see if they can replace the bionic for you with the Rezound. Plus I know a lot of ppl are having a hard time selling the Bionic at a decent price...

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I will give Verizon a call today. Worth a shot.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you had any CLNR Bionics? If not, they may want to send you another one.... I went through 3 Bionics before I asked for a different model and that's when they send the Rezound.

cp24eva

Reaction score
i also had a couple Bionics myself. Went from those to the Rezound. Better screen, better 4G/3G connection and transfers. Thickness is not a big issue. More reliable. Better reception in doors. Native screen shots. Better camera. doesn't get as hot as the Bionic when using it full power, especially while playing words woth friends or streaming videos.

I haven't rooted yet....really didn't need to. but I'm going to try it soon only to get some tethering.

Development is catching on and HTC has made a big statement talking about the support and development of their recent phones.

Sense 3.5 is actually better than the previous version. They toned it down in some area and beefed it up a little. Call quality is a little better too. Bionic had pretty good call quality in my opinion. And the extended battery look and feel of the bionic was better too. But it still burned really hot, unless the turtle shell of the Rezound extended battery. For what it does it stays cool.

HTC phones have this cool feature where you can turn the phone on it's face side and will automatically go to speaker phone.

Works great as a GPS. Locks on quickly and fairly accurate. But beware...battery drain. The dock that is made for the car barely charges it and seems to power it enough to keep it at it's current level while navigation is on.

overall, I love this phone and can't wait for whatever they have in store for future improvement.

Oh, one more thing, it works pretty good with some 3rd party launchers too. I'm using GO launcher. Since I've had my phone I can only count 1 time where it rebooted randomly and I've had it since November.

Good luck!

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Rezound sounds like the phone to get. HTC is by far my favorite based on the Moto, Samsung and HTC's I have owned. Sense 3.5 was choppy when I tried it out in store, but who knows what was running on that device. I haven't had any CLNR Bionics yet, but I am going to be stern with them. I will not accept another Bionic. I am about ready to cancel my contract and go to Att. I am at my wits end with the Bionic. Either they give me a Rezound, I switch to Att, or I go out and buy a Rezound.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I do have to send my Bionic to VZW, will it matter if it is rooted. Do they really check for that stuff?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The Rezound sounds like the phone to get. HTC is by far my favorite based on the Moto, Samsung and HTC's I have owned. Sense 3.5 was choppy when I tried it out in store, but who knows what was running on that device.
I am not a fan of Sense, but it is not choppy at all on the Rezound. It was very smooth. I liked the build quality on my Droid 1 better (there is just no replacement for metal), but HTC has great build quality IMO.

The two biggest pluses with the Rezound are the display and camera. The expensive earbuds are also a bonus...if you dont want them you can eBay them to defray the cost of the phone.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
If I do have to send my Bionic to VZW, will it matter if it is rooted. Do they really check for that stuff?
A friend of mine warranted his fully rooted, ROMed and overclocked Droid 1. Either they didn't check or they didn't care. This was over a year ago though, and he took it into a store.

cp24eva

Reaction score
The Rezound sounds like the phone to get. HTC is by far my favorite based on the Moto, Samsung and HTC's I have owned. Sense 3.5 was choppy when I tried it out in store, but who knows what was running on that device. I haven't had any CLNR Bionics yet, but I am going to be stern with them. I will not accept another Bionic. I am about ready to cancel my contract and go to Att. I am at my wits end with the Bionic. Either they give me a Rezound, I switch to Att, or I go out and buy a Rezound.

So I was in a similar situation and this is what happened. I complained and complained about my bionic. they let me get the rezound for the contract price. They do have a turn in program, but it's a bit on the crappy side. Then best buy also has a turn in program which is better, but only go towards a bestbuy gift card. Or you can sell it for the same price as the two year contract price of you rezound. problem is the 2 years starts over. if you are willing to start a 2 year contract over with the reozund, I'd say do it. i was only a couple months into my contract, so it wasn't a huge burden for me. But I've been tempted to go back to ATT a few times. haven't went back yet though.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just return it as is then.