Question regarding Verizon upgrades...

draxxus118

Reaction score
I know this was covered in another post a long time ago and I can't seem to find this to verify so figured I would make a post here. For a while now I've been quite bored with my HTC Thunderbolt and I've been wanting to upgrade it. I purchased it when it came out in march of this year so I'm not eligible for an upgrade until december of 2012. There was a post made about adding a second line to your existing plan to get the upgrade price. Then you would need to activate the phone on that new line but after that it could be switched over to your main line. Once that was done throw a "dummy" phone on the new line and suspend the data package so it will only cost 9.99 a month. My questions are a: does this work and have people here done it before? b: if this does work because right now I am using a plan that only has 1 phone on it will adding an additional line change my grandfathered unlimited data to tiered, or will it remain? If this doesn't work I may just bite the bullet and pay retail for it but I wanted to try and avoid that if at all possible and an extra 9.99 a month instead of retail is acceptable. Any and all help regarding this issue is greatly appreciated!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't see why that plan wouldn't work, but why would you just throw away $10/mo either...

It shouldn't change your unlimited plan because all you're doing is moving a phone over to the line with the unlimited data package. Similar to buying a phone off contract and activating it to your line.

The plan will work but the major flaw is that you pay an extra $10/mo for no reason. Not much of a plan if you're losing money if you ask me.

AlexSB

Reaction score
By The upgrade price you save like what, 400-500 dollars on a phone right? Lets say you saved $400, if you're paying $10 a month, $120 a year, you would spend 3 years and 4 months paying those $400 instead of paying those extra $400 upfront.

So in essence you're just spreading the cost of the phone over a period of time, instead of incurring the charge all at once.

And by then I'm sure he'll have another upgrade come through so I can see why he would go with it. Honestly I wouldn't do it either too much of a hassle lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bigkhan

Reaction score
It will work, you will still have unlimited data on the original line, but... since you only have 1 phone it will end up costing more than $10/ month. You need to check the current pricing on family share plans to know for sure. But there are different plans for single lines vs. Family plans. If you were already on a family plan then it would be an extra $9.99 for the extra line. I have an extra line on my account, I use it to upgrade more frequently. Always put the old flip phone back on the extra line. As a matter of fact this bionic was the upgrade for my extra line. And in September 2012 I can upgrade my line.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
D

draxxus118

Reaction score
Hmmm yea I didn't realize that the family plans started a little bit higher that would equate out to an extra 20.00 a month than what I am paying now so after 18 months or so I wouldn't be saving any money anymore by doing it this way. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay the subsidized retail price from verizon and sell the Thunderbolt on ebay. Well thanks for the reply guys I appreciate it!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
By The upgrade price you save like what, 400-500 dollars on a phone right? Lets say you saved $400, if you're paying $10 a month, $120 a year, you would spend 3 years and 4 months paying those $400 instead of paying those extra $400 upfront.

So in essence you're just spreading the cost of the phone over a period of time, instead of incurring the charge all at once.

And by then I'm sure he'll have another upgrade come through so I can see why he would go with it. Honestly I wouldn't do it either too much of a hassle lol

Wasn't thinking real hard in terms of numbers, guess that really does save you some dough, pretty smart. Does Verizon have any policies against this? I'm sure there's way to have that $9.99/mo line costing more...

AlexSB

Reaction score
An extra $20 so you would have to pay $30 a month? Damn well that really kills the savings lol 9.99 a month would've been too good, at $30 a month I think you start to lose money

OP
D

draxxus118

Reaction score
No it would be 20.00 more total I kinda said it a little bit wrong lol. The plan I have now is 59.99 a month plus unlimited data for 29.99. The family plan is 69.99 a month for the entry level for a few more minutes then there would be the 9.99 on top of that so 19.99 more each month if I did this. Then if I figure that the phone would retail through verizon for 650.00 which is a pretty fair assumption because thats what the rezound and others are retailing for through them then after about 18 months it would total around 360.00 so then it would go past the initial savings. The benefits would be I save about 350.00 for 18 months overall and then after that time period since I would have 2 lines I could potentially upgrade my phone once a year to something new so theres always that benefit as well. Still not sure if I will do this or not. I just need to keep my unlimited data if I do this because I sometimes stream netflix when I'm bored and I have racked up data a bit during some periods. Been temped to try google music as well and that would eat up a lot.