Question regarding phone insurance

polar135

Reaction score
But how long would it take to get a new phone? I am sure y ou could be without one for a week going through your home owners insurance.

I would file the claim and go pick up the new phone, same day (payout of my own pocket for the new phone) and then wait for the check from the insurance company. as far as how long it takes to get a check, i can only go off past experence when i got in a car accident. I had the money within a week, in that case.

I rather do this then get a refurb phone. IMO.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I think the Best Buy plan gets you a NEW phone. I'm going to stop in there today and ask about it before I pick mine up tomorrow so I can make some decisions.

xMyStiCx

Reaction score
I personally have added my BB smart phones to my home insurance. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

Do most home insurance companies offer this option? How exactly did you find out about it?

polar135

Reaction score
I personally have added my BB smart phones to my home insurance. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

That's an interesting stance to say the least. I would have never thought about it.

I look at it this way. If i have phone 4 2 years. (LOL yea right, i upgrade every year it seems now,) but the cost of Verizon insurnace is $144 for the two years, ($194 if you loss or replace the phone 1 time),

Vs

With my insurance company, over two years, i would only pay $72. and even if it lose it one time, its still only $72.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely some nice information about the home insurance thing. Well for those that have a home ;)

OP
W
Reaction score
I have state farm homeowners and they said cell phones are not covered, what gives?????

inigomntoya

Reaction score
Do most home insurance companies offer this option? How exactly did you find out about it?

I have Geico Auto and Geico Homeowners (serviced by Travelers Insurance).

I just called them up. They cover a mobile phone loss just like any other loss - unless it was stolen from my car (at which point it would go under my car insurance).

BUT - I would have to pay the $500 deductible. The girl I talked with did say they were researching ways to cover smaller electronics, but currently have nothing.

So, I am thinking the Verizon insurance for now unless Best Buy comes back with something bigger & better.

andymellon4

Reaction score
The Best Buy insurance is supposed to be even better. I saw a little info on it when I did my pre-order. I'm going to compare it to what VZW offers and I may make the switch, but yes, I ALWAYS take the insurance because I don't want to be on the other end of the statement 'Awww, you should have had insurance.'

Do you remember the details of the Best Buy plan?

It looks like they offer a service plan for the iPhone at $15/mo. but no deductible on your claim.

Has anyone had any experience with Best Buy's mobile service plans?

I asked and th guy at Best Buy told me it was oly $10

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Best Buy insurance is supposed to be even better. I saw a little info on it when I did my pre-order. I'm going to compare it to what VZW offers and I may make the switch, but yes, I ALWAYS take the insurance because I don't want to be on the other end of the statement 'Awww, you should have had insurance.'

Do you remember the details of the Best Buy plan?

It looks like they offer a service plan for the iPhone at $15/mo. but no deductible on your claim.

Has anyone had any experience with Best Buy's mobile service plans?

I asked and th guy at Best Buy told me it was oly $10

Say that $15 / mo for insurance on an iphone is true, and that there is no deductible. It would only that verizon customers 6 months to already be better off then that plan.

15 * 6 = $90
6 * 6 = $36

$90-$36 = $54 -$50 (For verizon's deductible) and verizon customers come out 4 dollars ahead.

Anything before 6 months and iphone wins.

xjman349

Reaction score
Just so you know the deductible is 80 for advanced devices not 50. That was the old insurance option.

inigomntoya

Reaction score
Just so you know the deductible is 80 for advanced devices not 50. That was the old insurance option.

So it will be a 9 month difference... still better in the long run.

The cost to insure it through BB is only $10/mo. Verizon is $6 w/ a $80 deductible.

Break even appears to be at 20 months if:
BB - $10/mo * 20 months = $200 total
VZW - $6/mo * 20 months = $120 + $80 deductible = $200 total

Considering NE2 discount (when most of us might consider a new phone anyway):
BB - $10/mo * 24 = $240 total
VZW - $6/mo * 24 = $144 + $80 deductible = $224 total

Anything over 20 months makes Verizon slightly cheaper.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going off if it was 15 as previously posted, that, thats what someone was told.

Jason

Reaction score
If your phone breaks once and then lose it the the next time. Its definitely better than buying two phones. They let you replace it twice during your two year contract