Question regarding overclocking/customizing

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by RevInstant, Aug 16, 2010.

1. RevInstant

RevInstant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I'm pretty new to the whole root/modding scene with Android but I wanted to know if someone would mind giving me a pretty simplified explanation or post an faq on how to oc bb0.4 on a Droid running 2.2. I successfully installed the rom and its set for 800mhz and I wanted to try out 1ghz or possibly 1.1. My other questions would be is 1.1 safe? And how can I mod the colors for my notification bar, Id like to make it black.

2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you are running BB v0.4 then all yo need to do is d/l a kernal and install as an update.zip, no wipe. The Rom will auotmatically OC to the highest slot as the max and 250 mhz slot to the min. It uses ondemand scalling, which seems to be the standard for performance and batt life.

here are some great ones to try: [8-1-2010] New Froyo Kernels - CPU Temp Monitoring is Back!

As for which one, it depends on your phone, everyone is slightly different, so you have to experiment to see what runs on yours the best.

Good luck

Edit: Look in the themes sections for all themes and changes for BB 0.4 and other Roms

3. RevInstant

RevInstant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I tried Chevy ulv 1.2 and 1.1 and my phone restarted, ran for about a minute and rebooted so I had to quickly dl rom manager and reflash my backup. Does this mean my phone can't handle those speeds because I see other Droid users running that?

Edit: Also is it normal for all of my apps/wallpapers to be gone if I install a kernel?

4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Could be either your phone doesn't like the speed or the voltage. Being that you are trying ULV kernels, I would guess it would be voltage related, but it could be speed too. If you really want to run those speeds try a higher voltage, or try someone elses kernel. Not all kernels are built the same, so maybe P3Droid and Bekit's will run better for you, if not there are other kernel devs out there too. Higher voltage doesn't guarantee you can run that speed either, not all CPUs are made the same.

Try a few different ones and see which one gives you the best battery life, temps, and over all usability.

Apps and wallpaper gone? Not sure what is happening there, maybe your launcher or home replacement is acting weird because of the kernel (this is usually voltage related too). If apps and wallpapers are actually gone as in not on phone/sd card anymore, no that shouldn't be kernel related.

5. RevInstant

RevInstant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you hit the nail on the head with the voltage. I switched to a med voltage and its been running for a few hours. What are some good ways to monitor temp on the kernals?

6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Ratings:
    +6
    TempMonitor is available from the market. It will display both CPU temps and battery temperatures. As the CPU can handle some very high temps, the battery is what you'll likely be interested in. The app supports a constant monitor in your notification bar. SetCPU will also show your temps, but is not convenient for monitoring purposes.