Question Regarding coverage in Puerto Rico

Slntagent

Reaction score
Anyone that has come to PR lately have an issue getting 3G coverage? i barely get a signal to begin with...curious to know if its my phone or just how the network is here?

By the way ive traveled from San Juan to Ponce, same thing

OP
Slntagent

Slntagent

Reaction score
well im leaving sat..hopefully someone can let me know if im the only one not getting 3g or if its everyone..hope nothing is wrong w my phone

crspang

Reaction score
You on vacation in PR? If so, why you worried about your phone at all, shouldn't you be full of Bacardi? lol
I wish I had an answer for you.

OP
Slntagent

Slntagent

Reaction score
You on vacation in PR? If so, why you worried about your phone at all, shouldn't you be full of Bacardi? lol
I wish I had an answer for you.

lol im still drinking but...i use my phone to communicate with family i have all over the island...so having a unreliable conn sucks

gfellow

Reaction score
Just arrived in PR. I can receive and send phone calls, but all internet access is dead unless I find a wireless point

gsridge

Reaction score
Puerto Rico 3G coverage

Got off cruise ship and headed east toward town. Continued along waterfront and in front of PR Tourism Bldg was a sign for wi fi hotspot. Took a little while but was able to catch up on emails etc. Also tried in St Thomas at a similarly noted wi fi spot but that didn't work.

Medman

Reaction score
Same report here. I just got back from PR last night(with egg on my face).

My wife recently went back to her iphone while I stayed with vzw. It WAS a running joke about her at&t coverage compared to vzw.......well, until we landed in PR that is. My droid turned into a paperweight:mad: other than for making calls, while her iphone had all bars and data. She was smiling from ear to ear everytime we had to use her phone for data. Uggh!!! From what I was told from vzw customer service is that I needed to activate something a week prior to the trip to piggy back on a data service and it would cost me .69 per minute! Yike's! I ended up limping along using the wi-fi at the hotel and other places. Lastly, that was the nail in the coffin for her about not considering coming back to Verizon.

shinedown87

Reaction score
Sorry that you were unable to get data coverage on your visit to Puerto Rico. I have been living in San Juan, Puerto Rico for about a year now, and data definitely does not work here on Verizon. It is really quite a shame considering AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint all have a working data connection.

The majority of the time my phone displays "extended network." I can't even send an MMS picture message. Every once in a while my phone will kick into "roaming" and I can send pics and use data, but that doesn't happen very often.

I have been dying to get a Droid, but will be unable to until I move back to the states. I am really disappointed in the Verizon service down here, considering there are so many of their customers that travel here from the States. I am stuck with a dumb-phone unless I switch carriers.

garhow

Reaction score
There is no 3G in PR but there is 1X data coverage. You have to turn on data roaming. Even though you are using roaming you won't be charged roaming charges. A couple of years ago Verizon sold their PR operation to Claro. AT&T has better coverage in PR.