Question, probably a noob question...sorry

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Savidi, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I cracked my screen on my droid and I'm getting a replacement tommorrow. I was wondering if I can transfer all my backup to the new phone with my sd card. Do I have to root the new phone again(spfrecovery)?Or can i just put my sd card in there?
  2. droidfreak1

droidfreak1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well, Savidi. the easiest way if youre running a windows machine is to download RSDlite and sprecovery and flash it on. after that you would create a nandroid backup and repeat the same process on your new phone and restore the previous backup
  3. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ooo ok..That wouldnt erase the data on my sd card would it(when I used the RSDlite)?

Thanks for the help
  4. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This does not effect your sdcard

Rsdlite is only for the internal memory.
  5. droidfreak1

droidfreak1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactly, RSDlite modifies the recovery file changing it from the standard motorola/android recovery to SPrecovery.sbf which allows you to preform a full nandroid backup.

when you restore it onto your new phone youll continue exactly from where you left off
  6. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nerdbox!!.. while im at it can help me explain what kernel does ?Have BBvo.2 and black ice theme.. Can i customize it more? like for examplemake the tool bars on the button slide and stuff like that. I used to have open home and it wasnt as complicated as this lol
  7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

Kernels are the core component for running an operating system. They handle all the interaction between the applications and the hardware of the phone, computer, etc.

Changing toolbars and button slides would be considered a theme; a lot of themes are compatible with different ROMs, which are built off the complied kernels, but some themes are ROM specific.

Kernels are complied when created and when developers compile their kernels to have special features the end user gets a different ROM, so while some themes are made compatible with ROM X and Y, the same theme won't work on ROM Z. So you have to check into the different ROMs and see which available themes they can run.

Another option to consider is MetaMorph. It is a themeing tool that does much of the dirty work for you, but again, you should look further into it here on the forums because some MetaMorph themes only work with certain ROMs, etc.
  8. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Uhhh...So do I just put in my sd card and it should work? is that what you saying im confused sorry
  9. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Another option to consider is MetaMorph. It is a themeing tool that does much of the dirty work for you, but again, you should look further into it here on the forums because some MetaMorph themes only work with certain ROMs, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I have bugless beat thats a ROM correct? And my theme is black ice froyo. I love the theme i just want to customize other stuff on there. What would you reccommend for that?
  10. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    NVM I understand what you mean now. Thanks
  11. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I have bugless beat thats a ROM correct? And my theme is black ice froyo. I love the theme i just want to customize other stuff on there. What would you reccommend for that?[/QUOTE]

Unless you can edit those files yourself or find someone willing to help you, it sometimes can backfire to attempt loading multiple themes at the same time.

Sometimes it can work out though, but sometimes not.

There are little stand alone packs for say, battery indicator, font selection, etc.

My suggestion though would be to find the theme you like the best and accept the little parts you don't like.

But you might find alternatives in other threads or maybe even someone else herr has another option.