1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question ONLY for those who say android Does Not Need task killer...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Fonzz, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

I have had advanced task killer on my phone forever. I play a game called Raging Thunder online with my phone alot. The game freezes up often. I use the task killer to end it, otherwise, when I try to start it again, I get a blank screen or the frozen still frame it last displayed.
    After seeing so many members tell others it was not needed, I decided to un-install it. I have the new 2.2 and was still having it freeze occasionally so I thought I'd try it without the task killer on the phone. (I'm running my droid 1 stock BTW)
    So the first time the darn game freezes, I go to start it again, blank screen. :icon_evil:
    I look around for another way to end it without re-booting the phone. I go to settings, applications, running services and I don't see it there. I proceed to click on some things I see there but I don't kill anything cause the couple things I click on warn of bad things happening with services I do recognize, like weather etc...Then all of a sudden my phone is frozen; had to do a battery pull. I think that's only the 2nd time I ever been forced to do that in 9 months of ownership.
    Please enlighten me about another method that's equally as fast as clicking the old TK & ending the program, then promptly re-starting it to play again.
    I'm waiting for the answer that works. If I don't get an answer that works for me, I'm re-installing the task killer.
  2. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 New Member

Sounds like your game is the problem, not Android and its memory management.
  3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Exactly. You build the app to the OS, not the other way around.
  4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

This

ten chars
  5. Shelooga

Shelooga New Member

Yea any game that freezes over and over with or without a task manager sounds like garbage or sega.

freeball it baby, froyo does the work
  6. azpilot

azpilot New Member

To me it sounds like the real issue is the game freezing to start with. Since I doubt the task killer is causing this but is being used to clean up after the fact, sounds like the game is the actual problem here.
  7. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

Thank you for your prompt comment, however I'm looking for a solution.
    The game stays even if it means I have to have a task killer.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Good luck. I understand task killers are not working well with froyo.

I'd email the developer.
  9. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo New Member

Sounds like me trying to come to terms with the minute plus load times on Crash Bandicoot PS2 game. :D
  10. InfernoX51

InfernoX51 New Member

You could just get a task killer...nobody is prohibiting that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I also have Raging Thunder on stock Froyo with no Task Killer. The game does not freeze and starts every time without a blank screen. Maybe some app is in conflict with it.
  12. christianpeso

christianpeso New Member

Use a task killer. Nothing wrong with having one loaded up on your phone. Its just that most people constantly kill apps which there is no need for. I keep mine for that occasional app that I want to force close. Not to close every app every 10 minutes by hitting the widget.
  13. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

I have no idea what your saying.

I don't see an "email" addy but I did send a support message:

Hello,

I have the paid version of Raging Thunder 2 on my moto Droid 1 and I now have the new 2.2 upgrade.
    I have been having issues with the game freezing up before and still with the new 2.2.
    I actually started a thread here, check it out and please advise.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...oid-does-not-need-task-killer.html#post755977
    I'm anxiously waiting your response.

↑ useless reply ↑

I'm jealous! It would be nice to know why/what, if I can't get an answer, task killer goes back...

Should I try un-installing and then re-installing the game?
    Also, I think many, many others may be having the same problem with this game judging by the comments during game play and the number of racers who "retire" during a race for no reason, even when they're leading, so re-install probably won't work IMO.
  14. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

I forgot to add, it does not matter if I'm on wi-fi or 3g.
  15. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Sounds like your device could be switching from 3g to 1x which could cause the lock up from time to time. Make sure your 3 g coverage is good. otherwise use wifi. If it is only happening with this one game that requires data, try clearing out the games cache in Managed Apps settings. Otherwise, I have to agree it may be the app itself. Reinstall it, and restore your settings with titanium
  16. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

Like I said, does not matter what network I use.

Looked into the games cache, it was at zero.

Never heard of titanium nor know how to use it, what it does etc.

Restore settings?!? sounds like if I un-install and re-install I will lose all my achievements with the game so far? Titanium will help with this? I'll need semi-detailed instructions at the least. I'm no rooter, and I'm only mildly familiar with computers too.

Why I'm the go to guy when family and friends have 'puter problems is beyond me...I know a little more than they do so they think I'm an expert and every time I do help, it re-enforces their theory. Ugghhh.
  17. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Fonz. Not talking about the network, but more the automatic switching of networks by the phone. If you have both wifi and mobile data active, you may get spurts of lock ups from time to time simply because the device is seeking the better network.

Titanium will save your Data on the game so you can wipe and restore your progress, score etc.
  18. aminaked

aminaked New Member

"Don't use a task killer" means:

-don't run something that autokills because it is using cpu/battery to kill tasks that are sitting in idly memory (idle equals not using cpu/battery)
    -don't click a widget 50 times/day to kill tasks because you're wasting your time--let the OS handle it
    -don't kill tasks by hand because you might cause problems. This is especially the case when killing apps that come with the phone. The stock apps, for the most part, should be left alone.

All that being said, if you have a problem with an app freezing up you have choices:
    -uninstall it and contact the dev
    -reboot
    -kill the task manually

So yes, sometimes it is a good idea to kill a task, just like using Ctrl+Alt+Del on a Windows machine. However, ideally, this shouldn't be done all the time. If you have to do it all the time, there's a problem with the app and the app's dev needs to be notified.
  19. Fonzz

Fonzz Member

So is there some way to "turn off" the mobile network while I use wi-fi so it does not try to seek "a better network"?
    Titanium sounds nice but I still don't know where to get it, how to use it etc...

I've been looking over the developers website; judging from the comments there, it looks like I have a better chance at dating a supermodel than getting an answer from them, oh well. ◄ I REALLY hope everyone sees this as it was good advice to "contact the developer" but I'm sure that I'm not going to get help that way, so PLEASE, no more telling me to contact them.

-reboot?? Using a task killer will be much faster that a re-boot..

"-kill the task manually" is there a way to do this without a task killer? I was looking for a way to do it as stated in the original post.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  20. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

I'd find out what app is conflicting. It's a poorly written app or a bad install somewhere.

Uninstall the game, reboot, re-install.

If that don't work I'd factory reset your device.
Search tags for this page

do i need to download a android task killer on s4

does android need task killer

does cleaning the cache on phone erase my game progress