question on RAZR Maxx rooting?

phontek642

Reaction score
Is it possible to root the Maxx running 4.1.2 and keep the apps you have intact without having to reinstall them?

Problem is I have an RSA soft token on here and its a pain to reinstall and reactivate. Any thoughts?

Any help with links would be great.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Is it possible to root the Maxx running 4.1.2 and keep the apps you have intact without having to reinstall them?

Problem is I have an RSA soft token on here and its a pain to reinstall and reactivate. Any thoughts?

Any help with links would be great.
Given you RSA soft token, at this point I would stay on .211 (the official system version). Couple of reason I say this: 1) the version of JB that you can install is a leaked version, not the official version ...it was a mistake. If you install that leaked version then you are stuck with that system version and we don't know if the official OTA will install with that version of JB on your phone. 2) There is a root method for the leaked version of JB, but again, you will be on an unofficial system version which may cause you more grief with your RSA token when the official update to JB is released (sometime between now and end of March). My suggestion, stay with what you have and wait for the official OTA if you're that concerned about your RSA token.

OP
P

phontek642

Reaction score
Biggest thing I need is the WiFi tether. I was using about 9 gigs a month on my unlimited data plan. Is there root access on 4.1.2 ? The RSA token is not a real big deal. Just wanted the WiFi and to dump all the bloat ware.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Biggest thing I need is the WiFi tether. I was using about 9 gigs a month on my unlimited data plan. Is there root access on 4.1.2 ? The RSA token is not a real big deal. Just wanted the WiFi and to dump all the bloat ware.
Yes there is a root method for 4.1.2 go here :http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/235341-root-jelly-bean-here.html. I don't believe there is any tethering app that works with 4.1.2, root or no root, but I'm not positive about that. I am rooted 4.04, system verions 211 and FoxFi works like a charm on my Razr.

OP
P

phontek642

Reaction score
Well if the tether doesn't work after the root then I will have to revert to my bionic.

Thanks a lot!...

Scimino

Reaction score
I have a RAZR maxx and I am rooted. I am currently running the jb leak. Use WiFi tether for root users. Just type that in the search menu in the play store. It works well for me I use it to play black ops 2 on the net.
Fox fi won't work with jb as of now.

Krenzy

Reaction score
I'm also on the JB leak, rooted, and did the entitlement hack and have free WiFi tethering.

OP
P

phontek642

Reaction score
great! Thanks for all the info. Now if there was some way to root with out losing the apps I have installed. I think I read in another thread there was some way to edit the files or something in the root program not to delete the app memory.

Scimino

Reaction score
If you are on stock ICS version .211 you can just put the jb leak on your sc card-ext. Then power off the phone and hold power vol + and -. Press vol - until u highlight recovery, press vol +. When the moto logo comes up hold vol + and -. Use the volume keys to select format cache. Afterwards select apply update from SD card. Let the update install. If you are not on ICS ver .211 I would highly recommend a wipe. I used this method on my wifes RAZR and it worked flawlessly. The only reason u would need to format is if u are not on ver .211. If u are running a custom rom or have a custom recovery installed u must also wipe and reinstall stock ICS. Check out Foxcats class room w/ Matty p. Their walkthrough is easy to understand and has all the links for downloads u may need. Including the actual leak and root exploit for jb and ICS. You won't need to loose all your apps just to root. Good luck!

OP
P

phontek642

Reaction score
how do i tell if im running .211? Screenshot_2013-02-02-22-42-16.png

OP
P

phontek642

Reaction score
Well...after 12 tries I messed with the settings in the phone and switched the mass storage to media server I think it was. And the root went through with no problems.

Thank you all,

Matt