Question on Auto Switching to Best Wireless Network...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I also have a Buffalo ac WW-DRT that I mess with as it's so customizable. I am currently using it as an AP in my backyard..

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My netgear does it all. We only have windows & android devices though.

I can run to the gas station across the street & still have a couple bars of WiFi.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
When I first switched my internet to Comcast I stopped using my linksys and it was fine around the house and going out front plus my wife's and daughters iStuff had 5 bars throughout the house so all seemed well. I noticed my G2 kept wanting my neighbors password when I'd be in the back yard at the fire pit where it was dropping the Comcast and looking for the strongest available in its place so on a whim I hooked the linksys back up and it has 2 bars when in that corner of the back yard on the Note4 and 3 on the G2.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I get coverage all over my yard. I can stream music via WiFi while mowing in the back and snow blowing in the front.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I do as well, but AC doesn't have the distance that N does and I like connecting at 700 + Mbps

OP
R

Richard Cohen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
Ok, so it doesn't sound like there is any setting on the phone that involves 'smart' network switching, which is a bummer. Not a huge deal, but this could be the only issue I have with the phone. There's probably a third party app that does this, but not sure why the function isn't native. We have two networks for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is coverage in the house. We have cat5 running through the house, and have a wireles/wired router driving the wired network and broadcasting wirelessly in part of the house. For some reason wireless does not travel well in our ranch house. We have another wireless network set up in another section of the house to be able to get a strong signal on the other side...and it would be great if my phone would switch from a weak to a strong signal automatically on networks it knows.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
While overseas I use a range extender instead of a second complete hub. The extender assumes the same SSID of the original hub and handovers are seamless.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, so it doesn't sound like there is any setting on the phone that involves 'smart' network switching, which is a bummer. Not a huge deal, but this could be the only issue I have with the phone. There's probably a third party app that does this, but not sure why the function isn't native. We have two networks for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is coverage in the house. We have cat5 running through the house, and have a wireles/wired router driving the wired network and broadcasting wirelessly in part of the house. For some reason wireless does not travel well in our ranch house. We have another wireless network set up in another section of the house to be able to get a strong signal on the other side...and it would be great if my phone would switch from a weak to a strong signal automatically on networks it knows.
I too am not aware of a Smart network switching feature built-in. As mentioned there is an "avoid weak signals" setting. That may help.

Another possibility is to use a GPS based Wi-Fi off/on tool that would essentially toggle the Wi-Fi so that it releases the weak signal just long enough to let the phone recognize the stronger one. There are tools like Tasker that can do this but there are also told devoted to Wi-Fi switching based on location. I can see myself on the map when I go from one end of my ranch to the other so a GPS based took should be able to detect the location change as well. You'll have to narrow the diameter of the distance it uses to differentiate between one and the other end of the house with an overlap so you don't completely lose connectivity at the middle.

I found this one...

Wifi Switcher - Android Apps on Google Play

Here's another;

WIFI Switcher - Android Apps on Google Play

There are others as well but the description seems to match your scenario.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited: