Question on Auto Switching to Best Wireless Network...

Richard Cohen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo
I recently got a droid turbo and really love the phone. Tried a galaxy s5 for less than 24 hours and back it went. There is one thing I haven't been able to figure out on the phone however and was wondering if you guys/gals had any suggestions.

Ideally I would like the phone to be able to find and connect with the best wireless network that it can access. We have two wireless networks in our house at opposite ends of the house, and while both are set up on the droid turbo and both work well, when the phone is connected with one and you go to the other side of the house, it stays on the same network even though the signal is weak or nonexistent. Is there a way to set up the phone so that it automatically searches out and connects with the strongest network available (that it has logged into before)? My old galaxy s3 did this, and I'm sure I'm just missing something in settings to get the phone to automatically switch.

Thanks!

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
The only thing that I have seen in the WiFi settings is to avoid poor signals. I don't think that is what you are looking for, though. I'm sure that you have already seen this setting.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I recently got a droid turbo and really love the phone. Tried a galaxy s5 for less than 24 hours and back it went. There is one thing I haven't been able to figure out on the phone however and was wondering if you guys/gals had any suggestions.

Ideally I would like the phone to be able to find and connect with the best wireless network that it can access. We have two wireless networks in our house at opposite ends of the house, and while both are set up on the droid turbo and both work well, when the phone is connected with one and you go to the other side of the house, it stays on the same network even though the signal is weak or nonexistent. Is there a way to set up the phone so that it automatically searches out and connects with the strongest network available (that it has logged into before)? My old galaxy s3 did this, and I'm sure I'm just missing something in settings to get the phone to automatically switch.

Thanks!

Are you the editorial page columnist for the Washington Post, by any chance? :)

Sent from my Note 3, using magic ...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can I ask why you have two separate networks setup in the house?

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
I've got 2 networks in my home as well vs just a repeater.
For whatever reason the Apple devices in the house prefer the Comcast router at longer distance from the router whereas my Android stuff likes my linksys best when stretching the location of them. I actually rent the Comcast one but not having my wife upset when her iDevices go out of range is worth $8 a month to me.
B o t , my Note4 will auto switch routers when one gets below 1 bar. I haven't set anything that I'm aware of.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have 2 as well. N router and an AC for my Apple devices.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I see what the problem is. It's Apple. Always looking for special treatment...

Actually Apple routers seem to work better for me. I have an older Airport Extreme that I use for my non AC devices. I upgraded to an Airport AC not long ago for my AC devices. Seems to be working fine for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Actually Apple routers seem to work better for me. I have an older Airport Extreme that I use for my non AC devices. I upgraded to an Airport AC not long ago for my AC devices. Seems to be working fine for me.
I've heard that from others too. My netgear gets the job done just fine @ my place though.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have 2 networks as well. 2.4 and 5.0 ghz. Apple devices and WiFi have always performed below the level of all our other devices. It's just easier to split the two.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have 2 networks as well. 2.4 and 5.0 ghz. Apple devices and WiFi have always performed below the level of all our other devices. It's just easier to split the two.
Haha! Well I run those 2 as well, but they're the same ssid, so technically one network.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Haha! Well I run those 2 as well, but they're the same ssid, so technically one network.

Mine are separate routers. A Cisco router and a Netgear router.

I'm surprised there isn't a preferred network setting on our phones today.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Mine are separate routers. A Cisco router and a Netgear router.

I'm surprised there isn't a preferred network setting on our phones today.
My netgear does it all. We only have windows & android devices though.

I can run to the gas station across the street & still have a couple bars of WiFi.