Question on an old root rumor?

Dark Crewman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Its been months since I have been on here or had my phone rooted for that matter. I unrooted my phone back then due to the rumors about verizon and all the big companies finding a way to track rooted devices, and possible sending an OTA to the devices that if the phone didn't receive it they would ban the device from the network.

I may have this some what mixed up, but if someone could lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
I really would love to root my X again but can't risk losing my service because its my primary phone.

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
That honestly sounds like b.s. People root their phones and have had them rooted for years. Even if they were able to track who's rooted, do you think that they would interfer with future business with that customer by blocking them?

comk4ver

Reaction score
Doesn't matter because when you take it back you will unroot anyways right! First, thing is sbf back to stock then download z4root. And use it.

DarkDreamer13

Reaction score
From my understanding rooting ONLY voids your warranty and nothing more. I don't believe you can lose your service for SIMPLY ROOTING. Now if you're using apps that go around your carriers policies once you're rooted (like free wi-fi tether apps on Verizon phones), and they catch you, something might happen to your service and/or they could charge you extra fees. But just rooting your device is legal.

Sent from my OTA GB Droid 2 Global

leftspin

Reaction score
I don't think rooting breaks your contract or terms of service, once you pay for the hardware it's yours to do with it what you please. Maybe they won't fix it for you after that but that's the decision you make.

OP
D

Dark Crewman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I thought that rooting was legal per the digital millennium act right, I think that's what ut was called.

What are some of the things that break TOS?
Does anyone recall what I am talking about with the tracking?

leftspin

Reaction score
Things that would break the terms of service would be stuff like tethering wifi without paying for the monthly service, i.e. "stealing" (which I do anyway and have not had any issues)