Question mark when trying to charge

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I was trying to charge my Maxx HD and when I plug it into the charger, instead of seeing an indicator saying how much battery is left, I get a question mark instead. The phone is powered off. This also happens with a replacement battery I purchased for my X2. Thoughts?

Sent from my Droid Maxx

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was trying to charge my Maxx HD and when I plug it into the charger, instead of seeing an indicator saying how much battery is left, I get a question mark instead. The phone is powered off. This also happens with a replacement battery I purchased for my X2. Thoughts?

Sent from my Droid Maxx

Hey Jackie, are the batteries you're using OEM Motorola batteries? If they are, then the batteries may be having communication problems with the phone. Check the contacts and make sure they are all clean. Q-Tip and alcohol work well.

The other possibility is that the batteries may be deep discharged but I don't think that you would be in that category. Perhaps clearing caches will help. Clearing battery stats might help as well but I believe you need to be rooted to do that.

Otherwise perhaps there are other suggestions from other members.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well I would hope the Maxx HD is an OEM Moto battery, considering I have not touched it ;-) This is the battery for the X2
8e8a6ene.jpg

dagymugy.jpg

Sent from my Droid Maxx

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Also, neither phone will power on. I expected the x2 battery to be dead, as it came from Amazon. But my Maxx HD has only been in my desk drawer for 3 months. I plug in both phones and leave them charging for hours and nothing happens. Actually, one of them said 60% charged, unplugged it to try and power up, and nothing. Plugged back in and got the question mark. Unplugged again and plugged back in and same thing

Sent from my Droid Maxx

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
SWAG: If it is the same charger on both, perhaps it is the charger connection and the phone is trying to do a USB connection rather than the power for charging.