Question in regards to Text Messaging and new Droid3

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by loscfl, Aug 17, 2011.

1. loscfl

loscfl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks,

I just picked up a Droid 3 after using the original droid for the last couple years. I wasn't quite sure if this was a 'theme' question, but hey.

So basically I'm wondering if there's just a real simple text messaging app, or modified version of an app, that looks like the original droid's text messaging? The bubbles and wasted space and all that junk bother me, and I definitely prefer the colored background and left/right offset. I did some googling and checked a few of the first suggestions, but most of those still were chat-bubbly heavy, which looks a bit gaudy to me.

Would love any suggestions/etc., just want some real simple text messaging. :) (( Just for clarity, I'm talking http://cdn3.staztic.com/screenshots/20-parandroid-messaging-094-1.jpg that style. Just real simple and clean looking. ))

Thanks.

2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I don't use it, but https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jb.gosms&feature=search_result <-- that looks like it can do that. The dark theme pictured is pretty close to the stock messaging client. Handcent may also be able to do this, although my experience with Handcent was with bubbles and left and right chats, maybe they have a list variation too.

3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +223
    GOsms and Handcent have built in setting that allow the simple full box messaging you're looking for. Both start with the bubbles but just go through the setting and set it how you like.

I personally use GOsms, but have used Handcent in the past as well. Much better than the stock app.

If you do go with one from the market remember to turn off notifications for the stock txt app.

end of line...

4. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    Definitely check out handcent. I havent used GoSMS much but the look you are going for can be achieved with handcent. There are a ton of settings to mess with and you said you wanted a simple app, but all you really have to do is set your conversation style to android and it wil look pretty much like the screen you posted. Then from there if youre feeling adventurous theres lots you can mess with.