Question: If the "leaked" patches fix all the major issues with the Bionic...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just stating the obvious fact that the testing means nothing to "real-world" performance.

You are speaking just of test/fix/test/release.

But still after release, equipment still has issues, which is the overall issue with software OTA's in general IMO.

OP
D

dlo-htown

Reaction score
I guess I'm just stating the obvious fact that the testing means nothing to "real-world" performance.

You are speaking just of test/fix/test/release.

But still after release, equipment still has issues, which is the overall issue with software OTA's in general IMO.

In a perfect world, software/firmware developers have all the time in the world to test and test and test their code to ensure it is bug free before releasing it.

In the "real world", there are other constraints (primarily cost) that limit how much testing gets done. Smaller companies are usually on tighter deadlines, and are guilty of taking shortcuts, with the understanding that they will probably have to fix bugs later, but at least they are able to release their product and get paid.

I don't think Motorola is this type of company. At least I'm assuming they are not, and that they have the resources to ensure their testing mimics the "real world" as much as possible. The fact that this problem of data dropouts would appear to be in an area of expertise (radio communications) for Motorola, and that they didn't catch this problem is very telling of either a deficiency in their testing/QC/QA departments, or that it was a management decision to forge ahead with the release despite the issues present in the phone.

I'm going with the latter.

atlrus

Reaction score
No matter how they test the patches, one thing is clear - Moto has no idea what the problem is. The fact that there are 3 leaked updates and no fix shows that they are simply shooting in the dark. Not very encouraging.

I would be more than happy to let Moto folks come and pitch a tent in my yard so they can see the issue firsthand and work on a solution, rather than spamming people with "leaks", people who are already beyond tired of dealing with this issue in the first place.

or that it was a management decision to forge ahead with the release despite the issues present in the phone.

I'm going with the latter.

I agree. The problem is that there is no recourse for the customers of such phones. I have not heard any of those companies recalling phones or generally compensating their customers for such actions.
I am not big government fan, but makes me wonder what's up with FCC and all those consumer protection agencies. How about we get some value for our tax dollars here?

Last edited:

xmguy

Reaction score
As a firmware developer, I totally disagree with this. It's totally FULL of risk. It shouldn't be the case, but that would explain why there's so many bugs in the Bionic's code. But to think that code is written and then dumped onto the masses for testing is really REALLY naive. No, be assured, this is NOT how it works.

Unless you know exactly what conditions trigger the data dropout, you have no way of duplicating those conditions except by chance, to see if it's been fixed in the patch. That's just how you test software. So the fact that "some" people don't see the data dropouts after installing these patches is NOT proof that the problem is fixed. That's the "hope and a prayer" method of software development, and I would NEVER let anyone on my team develop and test software like that, because I'm just asking for bugs!

As far as pinning your hopes on the Razr being much better, maybe there's a different, "better" team of software developers working that phone's firmware, but I can't believe they are not re-using as much code as possible except for the code that actually interfaces with the hardware. So, I'm inclined to say "good luck" with the Razr[B/].

Exactly. The Razr (when reviewed by Phone Arena) prior to release was said to have the exact same issues as the Bionic data and camera wise. All they did is what high end car companies do. Release a new model with only a few tiny changes to the body and maybe the engine. Same with the Razr no way in even 6 months they redesigned a new coding system. Theyd be crazy. If a fix doesn't exist for the Bionic what makes anyone think the Razr will. If the Razr did why hasn't the Bionic already gotten it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

scottd

Reaction score
Motorola has no clue

I hate to say this but Motorola has no clue what is wrong with the data connection issues. Both Verizon and Motorola admit to the problem but the Bionic has been out over 2 months with no OTA fix set to be released. Surely if they had a fix for the data connection problem they would have released a fix for that issue and included it in the RAZR as well. They could always work on the smaller bugs after doing a hot fix on the radio.

I have had no data connection on my Bionic all day today and all I am being told is 30-60 days for a fix. I have a feeling that Verizon's network is partly to blame for this. I believe for some reason the Motorola 4G phones have a difficult time connecting to the towers. This problem seems to be affecting many but certainly not all of the phones and this is what makes me believe that a true fix is not coming anytime soon. Verizon is gambling by releasing the RAZR with such a defect. Only time will tell if the next 2 Verizon phones (the Nexus and the Rezound) have a similar issue. If they don't, I think Verizon is going to see a lot of angry Motorola owners demanding an exchange. I know I will be among them.

welsalex

Reaction score
Ill Just chime with my 2 cents. Totally factory stock Bionic Updated using the 5.7.893.zip. Since I've updated the phone is "flawless". Zero data drop outs. Still noticing the occasional headphone hiss, but cannot isolate down to a certain specific point.

When I say flawless of course there are always tiny quirks but nothing that has impacted my daily usage to a point that has bothered me significantly.

scottd

Reaction score
Ill Just chime with my 2 cents. Totally factory stock Bionic Updated using the 5.7.893.zip. Since I've updated the phone is "flawless". Zero data drop outs. Still noticing the occasional headphone hiss, but cannot isolate down to a certain specific point.

When I say flawless of course there are always tiny quirks but nothing that has impacted my daily usage to a point that has bothered me significantly.

How bad were you experiencing data connection issues before the update? How long have you had the update? The reason I ask is that over the past week, i had only a handful of data connection problems. Starting last night and continuing today, I can't connect to data for more than 30 seconds. I have tried every trick in the book but no update.

welsalex

Reaction score
How bad were you experiencing data connection issues before the update? How long have you had the update? The reason I ask is that over the past week, i had only a handful of data connection problems. Starting last night and continuing today, I can't connect to data for more than 30 seconds. I have tried every trick in the book but no update.

Had the leaked 5.7.893 since Nov 4th. Before I had issues big time with data after I got off Wifi and left my house. I would have to use restart connections all the time to get it to work right away. Now while im out and about i pull it outta my pocket and it does what i want with a reasonably quick responce time without every having to use restart connections. It also transitions from wifi to data and back without problems.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Given the number of leaked updates and ways to install it, I don't think we've seen the final OTA update yet. We've also seen that these updates aren't unilateral in their effectiveness and if it was official that shouldn't be the case. We've heard 30 to 60 days and we're a 1/4 into that.

Maybe when we start seeing the "I GOT THE OTA UPDATE :icon_ banana::biggrin::D" threads and someone is able to capture that then it'll be good to do a manual install. When the OG Droid went from Eclair to Froyo the leaked update installed with zero problems.

Last edited:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Given the number of leaked updates and ways to install it, I don't think we've seen the final OTA update yet. We seen that these updates aren't unilateral in their effectiveness. We've heard 30 to 60 days and we're a 1/4 into that.

Maybe when we start seeing the "I GOT THE OTA UPDATE :icon_ banana::biggrin::D" threads and someone is able to capture that then it'll be good to do a manual install. When the OG Droid went from Eclair to Froyo the leaked update installed with zero problems.

Well VZW is now saying the release will be at the end of Nov. so, fingers crossed :)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Given the number of leaked updates and ways to install it, I don't think we've seen the final OTA update yet. We seen that these updates aren't unilateral in their effectiveness. We've heard 30 to 60 days and we're a 1/4 into that.

Along with ALL the threads "OTA Borked/Screwed/Wrecked/Ruined My Phone!!!!). :D

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Along with ALL the threads "OTA Borked/Screwed/Wrecked/Ruined My Phone!!!!). :D

Hopefully they'll be few and far between, but I'm sure will be seeing "THE OTA MADE ME LOSE ROOT :mad::icon_evil:" threads.

When I did the manual install of Froyo I didn't do the OTA leak but one from Verizon. It was a larger file and was a full install, not just a patch. It was the file that the Verizon techs would use if the OTA Borked/Screwed/Wrecked/Ruined a person's phone.

haupman

Reaction score
I used to get frequent data dropouts in weaker 4G signal areas before I applied the 5.5.893 update. Now I get ZERO data dropouts, but it does drop down seamlessly to 3G in a few situations.

I wonder how much of the dropout issue is due to VZW's network and an inability to seamlessly switch down to 3G. I might have had data dropouts while on 3G, but I can't remember at this point.

I would say anyone with serious problems should go do a warranty exchange. My phone is perfect now that the data dropouts have been resolved and everyone else's phone should be also.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Actuallee

Reaction score
Non rooted here, I updated to the 5.7.893 and still experience data drop outs.

Unfortunate for you, but I have updated, non rooted and camera is much better, little to no data issue. Loving it so far.

Sidenote, been unsuccessful in rooting my bionic. Any proven methods yet?